Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dell inspiron and the wireless card just stopped working. So I have tried another but it is not getting any power. ( there are no lights on the card) I took the card out and disconnect the ac power and the battery.
I took out the hard drive because it shares the same slot area with the pcmcia ( I tried to see in there to see if any thing was bent) and I removed the memory. I put everything back together but now it will not boot. It comes on then shuts back down after 5 seconds or so. Please any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
help with pcmcia slot

I was able to get it to boot up. I took out the battery for 30 minutes and it booted but I still cannot get it to recognize the wireless card. Does any one know what I should do?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Go into the BIOS and make sure PCMCIA is enabled. I forget which section it was under in the Dell BIOS, but Dell BIOS's did have that option, so check that. Press F2 at the Dell logo before it boots Windows to enter the BIOS. You should also check that your PCMCIA drivers as well as your wireless card drivers are installed and have no conflicts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pcmia slot

Thank you for responding. I left the lab top turned off and unplugged yesterday. Because I thought at least it was back to booting ok. But this morning I tried to turn it on and it shuts it's self down again. I will check the bios whenever I get it back up. Someone once told me something had to be reset on dells whenever something like this happens. But for the life of me I cannot remember what he said. Do you have any idea? Thank you.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
That's odd. By removing the battery, you were clearing the CMOS. But I don't know why you would have to do that again. Try reseating the RAM (also test one stick at a time), and see if it will boot OK with the hard disk out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry it took so long to get back with you. I think something is shorting out the motherboard. I'm think I'm going to call it quits with this one. Short of taking it completely apart; that is the only conclusion that I can come up with. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
OK, but if you think you want to give this problem another shot, feel free to come back to this thread, I will know if you post in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.