Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I' am using windowss vista. Every time i switch on my laptop, it failed to start normally. After several times of switching on/off, then a boot sequence appears so i have to select last good configuration that worked an it boots up normal.
What could have been the problem?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi toares and welcome to TSF

Can you let us know of any errors in red that show in your Event Logs:-
Windows Key+R and type eventvwr.msc into the box and hit Enter. Click on 'System' on the left and then click on the 'Type' tab at the top to sort the errors into their categories. (easier to find). Where there are ones in red that relate to the time/ date area of the blue screens/ freezes, can you tell us the EventID and Source for each one (most regular ones). Action>Export List and save it as a .txt file and attach it back.

When did you first start to notice this? Had you recently added any new programs or hardware?

·
Banned
10 Posts
Hi toares,

The problem could be due to missing start up file, virus infection or even some hardware fault..

Have you tried safe mode?
Could you tell last activity performed when your system was in normal mode?
Have you installed any new program?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi toares,

The problem could be due to missing start up file, virus infection or even some hardware fault..

Have you tried safe mode?
Could you tell last activity performed when your system was in normal mode?
Have you installed any new program?
Hi,
With safe mode, it worked fine.
It has been a month since i started my laptop in normal mode.
Booting in normal mode sometime makes the screen look something like a tv station has closed down leaving the tv screen still on.
With windowsXP, this never happens. ater my computer has been upgraded to winvista, then this started.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi toares and welcome to TSF

Can you let us know of any errors in red that show in your Event Logs:-
Windows Key+R and type eventvwr.msc into the box and hit Enter. Click on 'System' on the left and then click on the 'Type' tab at the top to sort the errors into their categories. (easier to find). Where there are ones in red that relate to the time/ date area of the blue screens/ freezes, can you tell us the EventID and Source for each one (most regular ones). Action>Export List and save it as a .txt file and attach it back.

When did you first start to notice this? Had you recently added any new programs or hardware?
It was a month ago that this error stated.
The recent hardware changes are, memory and hard disc. I replaced a 80GB hard disc with a 143GB and memory 1GB with 2GB.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
OK, in Safe Mode try this:-

Window Key+R and type MSCONFIG and hit OK.
Under 'Services tab', tick 'Hide all Microsoft Services' and then uncheck the remaining programs and 'Apply'
Then under 'Startup tab' - Uncheck anything not Microsoft related then 'Apply' and OK

Then reboot and see if that helps. Trying to see if a program or something else may be interfering.

If it boots normally without an issue, then there is a program interfering with the normal boot sequence. Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, in Safe Mode try this:-

Window Key+R and type MSCONFIG and hit OK.
Under 'Services tab', tick 'Hide all Microsoft Services' and then uncheck the remaining programs and 'Apply'
Then under 'Startup tab' - Uncheck anything not Microsoft related then 'Apply' and OK

Then reboot and see if that helps. Trying to see if a program or something else may be interfering.

If it boots normally without an issue, then there is a program interfering with the normal boot sequence. Let me know what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Was the issue still present in when starting normally after the adjustments in msconfig?

Can you download and install Autoruns and run it. Let it generate all the information (shouldn't take long) then go File>Save and save the AutoRuns.arn file to the desktop. Zip it (right click on the .arn file and select 'send to' and choose 'Compressed zipped folder) and attach it back. Basically want to have a look and see if we can figure out what may be interfering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was the issue still present in when starting normally after the adjustments in msconfig?

Can you download and install Autoruns and run it. Let it generate all the information (shouldn't take long) then go File>Save and save the AutoRuns.arn file to the desktop. Zip it (right click on the .arn file and select 'send to' and choose 'Compressed zipped folder) and attach it back. Basically want to have a look and see if we can figure out what may be interfering.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After the adjustments in misconfig, the problem still persists.
I have downloaded windows update file hoping it would solve the problem, but its still the same.
I have downloaded and run/save aoutorun and attached it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Please post back a screenshot of your maximized full Disk Mgmt Drive map with listings, using the Snipping Tool in Start Menu.

Is this a clean install, in-place Upgrade from XP or factory preinstall?

Have you run Startup Repair from System Recovery options on the F8 Advanced Boot Tools Repair console (if you have it) DVD or Repair CD, or doe sit auto-failover into Startup Repair at all when startup fails? See if it finds any issues to repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.