Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when my computer starts up it immediately has two errors after windows is finished loading.. one involving hkcmd.exe and the other igfxtray.exe First what do those programs do? and how do i keep them from having an error when windows starts up? Then when i right click on the desktop i get an error with hccutils.dll and windows explorer closes and then opens again like nothing happened. Whats going on here? i just got this computer from gateway as remanufactured because they couldn't solve a problem on my old computer. Now i'm already having problems with this one!!!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
hkcmd.exe
Installed by the Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. If you want the Ctrl+Alt+F12 or similar keypresses to access Intel's customised graphics properties, you need it, otherwise not. Can be disabled via the Display Properties in Control Panel. If you are getting this on windows startup than disabling it may solve your problems.

Start/run/msconfig and remove igfxtray.exe which does nothing more than provide Quick access to the control panel via a System Tray icon for graphics based upon the Intel chipsests (ie, i810). Not required for normal operation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still the right clicking problem

ok i disabled the integrated adapter that is built into the motherboard, but when i put my geforce4ti4600 back into the computer, i still have the problem of when i right click the windows explorer crashes. Is there anyway to completely remove the software for the integrated graphics card so that the computer won't reinstall it causing a conflict with my new card? There has to be a way otherwise you could never upgrade your computer from an integrated card.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem solved!

I figured it out! Thanks for telling me what those files were used for, the way intel installed the integrated adapter they made it so the adapter it self could not be deleted by Add/remove programs or just hitting the delete key, so i used the file structure in the error message to delete the files that were no longer associated with a program and that solved my right-click problem. thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I manage a small computer shop in southern New Hampsire and recently an HP computer came in for repair with a booting problem. After I resolved it, as a curtosy, I upgraded Internet Explorer to version 6. After the reboot, I right-clicked on the desktop and I got an explorer crash. I decided to right click again and this time it didn't crash so I had a chance to notice that the video driver had added some extra features to that menu. Without any solid ideas, I ran a quick few Google searches and came up with several forums explaining the exact same problem. Most of them referenced removing the startup items "igfxtray.exe" and "hkcmd.exe" either using MSConfig or the registry entries in the key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Well, just like everyone else, these programs were causing Windows to crash, but I had already removed them. I continued to poke around on the web, visiting different forums, downloading different drivers and trying to locate some patches all to no avail. I then commited myself to eliminating the additions to the right-click menu that the video driver had added. I would let nothing stop me. Eventually, I found the registry key that was controlling it.

HKCR\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxcui

Deleting this entry completly solved the problem for me. I hope it does the same for you.

gl hf strength and honor,
outbak - MSNE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.