Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something that I know happens occasionally and I have tried the conventional retreival methods i.e. ctrl+alt+del, new task, explorer, ctrl+esc which gives me access to my programs but the start button is nowhere to be found and the task bar does not restore.

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Verif that in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon , on the right side, that shell value is Explorer.exe

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,125 Posts
Unzip the attachment and save it to a flash drive, put the flash drive on the troubled computer. Browse to the Flash Drive and double click the Taskbar.reg file. Agree to import the file to your Registry.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello and welcome to the fourms

what version of windows are you using?
and have you enabled the 'Auto hide' feature of the task bar?
and can you press the windows key to bring up the start menu?
I am running standard XP. I went into control panel-taskbar icon-made sure auto-hide was off. My HP laptop does not have a windows key. Thank you for your help. Please keep helping because I'm still 'down' I cannot minimize files-they disappear. Maybe thats a clue!

·
ROG Enthusiast
1,497 Posts
Unzip the attachment and save it to a flash drive, put the flash drive on the troubled computer. Browse to the Flash Drive and double click the Taskbar.reg file. Agree to import the file to your Registry.
I suggest trying this if you have not done this already it will replace your registry in case any virus has changed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tyhank you for your response. I did exactly what you suggest using winzip agreeing to load to the registry (it asked me if I was sure-so I know it went to the registry) but there was no change to my screen (no task bar-no start button) My Icons are all there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.