Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've recently got a couple of gift cards from relatives for Amazon UK and for a while now I've been looking into potential upgrades for my laptop.

I game on it pretty regularly but don't play the latest titles by any means (mainly GTA5 or 7 Days To Die) and otherwise use the laptop for Website Development and some Video Editing using After Effects/Premiere but this latter use is pretty rare.

Anyway, I have £50 to put towards an upgrade and I'm steering towards getting an additional SSD. The laptop as standard has a Crucial CT525MX300SSD4 (more details here: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/525...ology-read-530mb-s-write-510mb-s-92k-83k-iops) and ideally I'd like to upgrade to at least a 1TB to futureproof the machine.

I'm aware that upgrading the RAM isn't going to see much benefit since I already have 16GB installed (again, as standard).

The SSD upgrades are PCIe M.2-based only according to the Gigabyte website (AERO 15X (i7-8750H) Key Features | Laptop - GIGABYTE Global) and I'll be honest I really don't know what I'm looking at in that sense other than data transfer rates but I presume it's all pretty much "plug 'n play"?

A couple of SSDs I've looked at already are as follows. Unfortunately I'm limited to Amazon UK's stock as I can't justify stumping up the money otherwise. Amazon's return policy is pretty robust anyway if I run into any issues so I'm happy with that and they seem competitive.

Budget is between £50-100 which is probably pretty low but I'm just hopeful that the gift cards will cover a majority of the cost :)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,561 Posts
Samsung is more than "pretty good" when it comes to SSDs. If you ask me what I use, Samsung SSDs are running in every one of my wife's and I seven computers. And, when I'm repairing a computer with a HDD (either broken or not) I recommend replacing it with a Samsung SSD.

Yes, there are many others that are great. It's just I have yet to have any failures with Samsung SSDs and am more than happy with their performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts