7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I bought new PC components

Asus PRIME Z390M-PLUS
Intel i7 9700K
HyperX Fury HX432C16FB3K2/16 DIMM DDR4 (Kit 2x8GB) 16GB 3200MHzCL15 1Rx8
SSD Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (500 Go)

Samsung 970 EVO is not detected in BIOS, I tried both M.2 slots that should be PCIE 3.0 x 4 compatible.

So I booted from another SDD drive (Samsung 840 SATA) Sometimes (I found no logic in when and why) I can see an error in Device Manager on "samsung nmve controller".
So I installed Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3. Nothing changed, error was still there, SDD not detected nor in BIOS nor i Samsung Magician software.
And after some boot ups I don't get the "samsung nmve controller", this line is just not in Device Manager anymore and when I try to install the driver it says "samsung nmve controller" not found, and it won't install...
I'm on Windows 10 Pro.

I checked the documents, it says that motherboard is compatible with
960EVO but there is no info about 970EVO. I updated bios, no change.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,557 Posts
Do you have any other drive plugged into lowest number sata port? If you do most M2.280 require "0" or "1" sata port be empty to recognize that drive so you need to read literature that comes with motherboard to be certain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uplugged all sata cables, no change in either if of two M.2 slots. My motherboard should support both M.2 along with 4 Sata slots, at least there is no information about slot disabling if M.2 is used.
https://www.asus.com/fr/Motherboards/PRIME-Z390M-PLUS/specifications/
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

"fun" fact. When M.2 SSD is inside, computer booting is longer (like 30 secs longer), I'm talking about the screens before Windows shows up. It must detect that something is inside but doesn't know what.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a setting to manage NVMe but I can't do anything as the SSD is not detected.
And I can disable M.2_2 slot (no setting for M.2_1). Tried disabling the slot (we never know) but nothing changed. (tried to put the DDS in both slots) while SATA cables unplugged.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,557 Posts
From the manual for your board does not mention the need to leave a slot open but
says you have to enable the m2.2870 slot in your bios, it does not default to accepting those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did everything I could in BIOS, nothing helped. Bought a SSD Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 instead which was on motherboard compatibility list, it works.
SO I still don't know if 970 was faulty or it's just a compatibility/configuration issue.
Thank you for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts