Tech Support banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so. I had an old SSD in my old computer, I built a new computer with all new parts and stuff, and I plugged my old SSD into the new computer (without altering it) and it boots up windows and runs. It works but should I change anything, I don't feel like it should work!

Another thing: my monitor has horizontal and sometimes vertical different color lines on it sometimes, it's random I need help with that.

And also my internet speed says 35MB but I can only download games at 4MB!!!, and yes I'm on ethernet.

Also, 100% of my disk space is used when I try to download some games.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,634 Posts
Ok so. I had an old SSD in my old computer, I built a new computer with all new parts and stuff, and I plugged my old SSD into the new computer (without altering it) and it boots up windows and runs. It works but should I change anything, I don't feel like it should work!
I don't see why it shouldn't work.
Another thing: my monitor has horizontal and sometimes vertical different color lines on it sometimes, it's random I need help with that.
Go into bios. If no lines then the problem is hardware.
And also my internet speed says 35MB but I can only download games at 4MB!!!, and yes I'm on ethernet.
Glad it's solved.
Task Manager can tell you what's using space.

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
In previous versions of Windows, if you swapped drives between computers, Windows wouldn't boot because there are drivers installed specific to the previous motherboard. But Windows 10 is very good about collecting drivers for the new motherboard so the Old SSD will work in a new computer/motherboard.
In Windows, press the Windows key+X and choose Device Manager. Any devices with Yellow Flags need to have drivers installed. Go to the computer or motherboard manufacturers download drivers site, type in your Make and Model # and download the drivers you need in the Device Manager.
If you have a separate video card (GPU) then go to that manufacturers Support/Download drivers site and type in your make and model# and download the drivers for your card. After installing and restarting, if that doesn't fix the lines on the screen, replace the video cable, try a different monitor. If it still keeps happening, then the GPU is failing and needs to be replaced.
As for Internet speed, that would be something to discuss with your ISP.

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
What is the make and model# of your computer or motherboard? If downloading the Chipset driver from the manufacturers site doesn't fix it, then go to the Details tab and copy the Hardware ID and Paste it into Google, and it should tell you what device it is and you would download that from the same page.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I downloaded the chipset and it fixed the problem thanks, now there is only 1 issue left the monitor flickers, in my bios it doesn't flicker
But I'm using another monitor now and it doesn't flicker not yet anyway, The flickering starts when I wake up in the morning and turn on my computer from it's night time sleep.
Im using the other monitor on another PC rn, and I turned the HZ to 144 instead of 60 and it did the screen flickering thing. The problem is I use to have it on 144hz on my PC fine, now why is it doing this all the sudden and is this the graphic or monitors fault?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,634 Posts
Are you overclocking?

·
Registered
178 Posts

Usually, after a few reboots, Windows 10 usually updates to the new hardware. There are some quirky moments, but if the SSD has a version of Win 10 on it, most mobo's will install the drivers it needs to operate on the OS. It's not catastrophic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts