Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older model Clevo P150SM laptop I am trying to get running for my granddaughter. She does not play sophisticated games, so this older laptop will play what she wants to play. Everything works great with a spinning conventional hard drive. However, I have a spare Samsung 500 gb SSD lying around not being used, and I am trying to swap the spinning HD with the SSD. My problem is that the bios cannot see the SSD. I have two different SSD's and the bios cannot see either of them, so I don't believe it is a defective SSD. I have a bunch of spinning HD's lying around, and bios can see every one of these. The laptop was manufactured in 2012, which might have been before the invention of the SSD. Any ideas on how I can get this antique laptop to see this SSD? Thanks for your assistance.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,479 Posts
I'm assuming your connector was the correct type with the SSD being the same size as the old HD so is the IDE Controller changed to AHCI mode? If the option doesn't exist, then I think the computer is too old to work with a SSD.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply, Corday. Yes, the connector is the same one used for both the spinning HD and the SSD. It is a Clevo Laptop, so there is not much selection available in the bios, but the SATA mode is set to ACHI mode. The only other option is RAID, and there is only space available for one drive on this model. Not quite sure what UEFI Boot setting is all about, but it is currently disabled. I have tried it both enabled and disabled, and the bios cannot see an SSD drive. I would like to try a bios update, but I can't seem to find one for this model. The current bios version is 1.00.09RLS1, which sounds like the original that was manufactured with the machine. Could an old bios (2012) cause this problem? Thanks again for your help.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,369 Posts
Could an old bios (2012) cause this problem? Thanks again for your help.
Yes it could, since the BIOS is responsible for initializing hardware resources before the operating system boots. A 2012 model is not as old as you might think, especially since it has an UEFI BIOS and AHCI SATA. I bet it even features a 6Gbps SATA controller. Have you tried booting from OS installation media to confirm whether the SSD is trully not recognised by the system? It's not a must that it shows up in BIOS. My HP ProBook of 2013 doesn't show the HDD or SSD in BIOS (under system information), nor does it explicitly list it in the boot order list. It just says "Notebook Hard Drive" in the boot menu! I've also encountered a few machines that did not list the hard drive IF it isn't bootable, but showed it in the boot order list after an OS was installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Stancestans. Yes, I tried to load Windows 10 Pro, and the operating system could not see the SSD either. I have finally given up and given her the laptop with a one tb 7200 rpm spinning drive. She plays simple games and the laptop will suffice for a while. Thanks again. I am going to close this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.