Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who have tried "Spybot Search & Destroy 1.2"? If so, do you like it or hate it. If you have no idea what it is, then i will tell you. It searches through your harddrive looking for Adware & bad cookies. I have been using window washer for a wile now & window washer, got done scaning my drive. Then i tryied Spybot & it found some bad cookies & a adware. You might not know it, but you can get adware from going to websites, and thats not cool.
go to www.safer-networking.org/ or www.pcworld.com & download it there.....

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I find that using both Ad-aware, spybot and window washer together can find a whole lot more malevolent software than any of them alone.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I use Ad-Aware 5, Spybot 1.2, and I think I have Window Washer installed but I don't use that very much

·
Registered
5,955 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
The one problem with Spybot for newbies is that they often delete files that they need and crash their system. I like it better than Adaware because it is faster but I think/hope I've finally stopped spyware from installing. I haven't gotten any for awhile.

Download Spyblaster and updates.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

note this message below the download...I needed to install it.
Do you get an error that "MSCOMCTL.OCX" cannot be found?
If so, use the following installer to copy the file to your system:
MSCOMCTL Installer?

then go here and follow the instructions.

go to sites that you know leave spyware and run Adaware...you shouldn't have any.:D

I also use Disk Cleaner to instantly clean temp folders and it gets spyware that isn't in the registry (but now the other two fixes get them).

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used Spybot once, after reading about it on this forum.

Result : my digital camera connected to USB port was not recognized anymore, and a lot of other strange things happened (I cannot remember what),
but anyway I kicked it of my PC immediately and turned back to AD-aware softw.

fyi

·
Registered
336 Posts
It cleans more than just spyware...if you just delete the things in red at the top of the list and not the MS files it is safe. Newbies don't know that though and do a SELECT ALL to delete.

I always found what Spybot didn't get Adaware would and visa versa.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
x5dr said:

I always found what Spybot didn't get Adaware would and visa versa.
Same here. I use Adaware primarily and Spybot to get those stuborn stains.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I have had people do the "select all" thing with Spybot, but Dogonit, I either tell them to fix only the stuff in red, or I tell them to read the quick start. I am not going to down a pgm because people won't read.

At least once weekly, I run both Adaware and Spybot. I wouldn't want to be without either one of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.