Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sportsman, model KSPLIT10 log splitter with a 2.7 hp Chinese engine. I've cleaned the carburetor and the engine will start and run but will not achieve max rpm.

I can manually open the throttle to get it to increase speed but the governor pulls back hard and when I let go it, runs at about 1/2 max speed with the throttle lever at FAST.

This particular carburetor has an adjustment screw but it doesn't seem to change the max rpm condition.

I'm very hesitant to mess with the governor and was hoping that maybe someone here has had some experience with these Chinese engines and could advise me.

Thanks in advance,
mike

Attachments

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
13,264 Posts
(1)Is the return spring hooked up correctly?
(2)Has the governor ever been turned any at all?
If 1 is yes and 2 is no try adjusting the governor just a tiny bit, to see it the rpm increases, if it dos turn it a tiny bit at a time until its is at max rpm
ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT, does it make max pressure at 1/2 rpm? if it does then its a possible clogged filter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. I turned the adjustment screw after I let the engine run for a bit and now the engine will run steady without surging. I still have the issue that it doesn't seem to be running at as high an rpm as I think it should when the throttle lever is maxed out. I don't know what the "FAST", max rpm should be and even if I did, I don't know how I'd measure it.

That being said, the spring on the carburetor/throttle is connected correctly. I took a picture of it before I removed the carb so I would know where it connects.

As far as the governor spring, I did not remove it so it is in it's original position.

I don't know how to adjust the governor. Maybe you could advise me on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts