Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know, I should know better but there was one of those house flies that refuses to leave you alone. I lashed out at it and spilt a can of cola all over the keyboard. Luckily, I had kitchen roll right beside me so mopped it up smartish and thought I'd been lucky.

A few hours later, a lot of the keys are sticking, most notably, the Enter key.

Any way to clean without removing the keyboard?

Maybe wouldn't have been so bad with Diet Coke but no, it was original.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,047 Posts
I've always used Isopropyl Alcohol to clean spills of that kind since it evaporates quickly and doesn't generally leave a residue, but even with power off it's still going to be a risky operation cleaning a laptop keyboard that's still in place.

Can be applied with an artists paintbrush or fine lint free cloth.

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gary.

@ spunk: A bit pricier than I expected and there was a day I would have stripped it and cleaned it but I really can't be bothered with such things these days.

Anyway, with all the money I saved from not going to the pub, I should be quite rich! :ROFLMAO:

Just waiting for confirmation from seller on compatibility.

·
Premium Member
41,521 Posts
It's that expensive in the US too?!
If you remove the keyboard, you can search Ebay for the exact model # using the serial # on the bottom side. But if it's advertised as being for your model laptop, it will work.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,047 Posts
Oh there's no doubt that hardware prices have gone up because of Covid, along with lack of availability for a whole bunch of stuff.

A few months back I was looking for a scanner/printer for the wife so she could work from home, and it was surprisingly hard to find something even remotely close to what she needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
flip it upside down on something that would allow you access to the keyboard and them get some isopropyl alcohol cleaner or put some isopropyl alcohol from walgreens in a spray bottle and spray the crap out of it. Then let it dry for a couple of hours.

Should work to keep the key from sticking till u can get a new keyboard.

If it leaked on to any of the circuit board the acid in the soda will eat away at he circuit traces.

Coca Cola has a ph of 2.5. I use to calibrate PH sensors and if I ran out of the 4.0 PH buffer solution i could use a can of Coca Cola to get by.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A friend of mine's daughter spilled soda on her laptop. A couple of months later, the laptop would shut down after 5 or so minutes. I checked, and the cpu was over heating, and the motherboard had a built-in program that shut down when a certain temperature was reached. It seems that the fan circulated the soda and it ended up leaving a sticky film on the fan blades, collecting all the dust from inside, so the fan was coated and not doing its job. The fan well was stuffed with the lint and dust. I used tweezers to extrtact all the build up andI used q-tips dipped in isoprpyl alcohol to clean the blades, and, voila, the problem was fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts