Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey speedo rememeber this post a week or so ago. http://www.techsupportforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=7785&forumid=10

i unplugged all the PCI cards before doing the install and disconnected all other drives before the install so i just had CDROM and the new HD on the same IDE cable.

well i did everything you said and it still freezes up on the boot screen. I loaded XP with a full NTFS install on the new HD i bought and it worked ok for a few days but every now and then it would still freeze up sometimes on the blue bar screen.

I also reseted the CMOS

Well after those few days i figured that it couldnt really be anything else other than maybe a bad XP disk. SO i went out and got another one tried to install it the same exact way and the blue bar boot screen freezes worse than before!

Everything on this thing is pretty much new now except for the Mother board...Is there any possibilty this is the problem?

Do you have any other suggestions???the only thing i havent tried is the boot disk. What exactly does the boot disk do. I now know that i dont need ME to work with this computer i just cant get it to boot right..WHen it does get up and running XP works great...:confused:

this is my current specs

Intel pentium III
933mhz
In(R) 82810E graphics controller
Windows XP pro SP-1
256 MB RAM
Maxtor 40GB HD

ps feel free to email me or pm me...thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
:smash:
I'd bet on your motherboard, use the above icon for the most up to date methods of troubleshooting older equipment.

S

·
0 Posts
mykes68, If you go into the bios and snoop around does it let you see the temperature of the CPU?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have snooped around the BIOS before and dont remember seeing anything like that.I could try it though. I recently cleaned the fan off because it had a fair amount of dust on it. i also cleaned everything else off. I am positive both the fans are working. I will try it when i get home and see what i can find then ill post back. I installed the previous XP pro disk i used before and it is up and running all except the boot up issue..

I have noticed that if i turn the computer on after it being off for awhile the first boot usually doesnt work. The i turn it off with the button and then the second boot up it usually comes on. The blue bar will get 10-12 passes beofore it freezes up. But like i said the first is usually hopeless the second time takes about 3- sometimes 10 minutes before it loads up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a pressurzed air duster. the fan on the motherboard was the only thing that was dirty the rest of the inside was pretty clean..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

Is the drivers for your motherboard up-to-date? What motherboard do you have?..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my mother board is a stock compaq. It was the original that came with the computer. The computer is a compaq presario 5000. I bought it around 2000 and it came with windows ME. I have downloaded all the XP updates and installed my virus software etc. when i get on XP no problems!!!!!Just the boot doesnt work right.FYI i bought a new 128 stick of RAM a few weeks ago along with a new 40 HD and modem. the only thing i havent replaced is the MB....but i dont really have $$$ to do...If anyone does think the MB is the issue wat kind should i get? I dont do much on my PC except internet, word doc's, and every now and then burn a cd..which is slowly fading due to all the recent legal issues........thanks guys

·
Registered
336 Posts
so i just had CDROM and the new HD on the same IDE cable.

could be the problem....your HD will slow down to the speed of your CDROM (among other problems)

Hard drive should be on the Primary IDE and removable drives on the Secondary IDE. You can set the jumpers to Master. You might need an 80 wire IDE ribbon for the Hard drive.

S

·
0 Posts
Find out if there are any exclaimation marks in the device manager. If you know who the makers of the cards in your system are look for the latest drivers online.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

Just because you may have installed all xp updates doesn't mean that you have updated the drivers for your motherboard. Microsoft's site doesn't support such drivers. Meaning, you have to go to the manufacturer's site and do it yourself. You will have to go to Compaq's website and download them from there. Find out what model (a number on the side of the computer most likely) you have and go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
X5dr :i put the cd rom and the HD on the same cable just to install XP...and so far that has worked the best. once i installed XP i put them back on there right cables..
Mekaziah: I will try compaqs site for the drivers you are talking about. and i will also try the device manager and let you guys know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i went to compaqs website and they have no driver updates for this motherboard! i have checked a few other sites and dont see any either..

anyone know where to find it...

this computer is a compaq presario 5000

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

They have no driver updates, or, you couldn't find them?...

S

·
0 Posts
The only thing that I can think of to try now would be to use Maxtors PowerMax Utility. You can use it to write zeros to that 40gig drive that your using just to make sure it's really clean.

Then do a complete install of the OS, and if you have any problems after that it's more than likely a hardware issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.