Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the post below about installing the one from an old computer onto a new computer as a slave.

Are harddrives pretty universal then? I mean, I had a packard bell and I thought they were pretty propriety. The harddrive is Medalist 6422 (Seagate). A friend of ours told me that SOMETIMES you can toss another harddrive into PC's, but you have to be careful. I am not sure what he meant by that so I thought I would bring this here.

Think I am safe putting this into the new Dell?

·
Registered
207 Posts
You should have no problem hooking up your old drive to the new Dell. Just follow the standard safety protocols. Unplugging the system, then holding the power button for 7~10 seconds. Making sure you are grounded to prevent a power surge zapping your system. Securing your old drive into one of the internal 3.5" drive bays. Plugging in the power and data connector into the correct slots.

After you install the old drive, go into Bios and make sure that the old drive is not set to boot first. Then the next time you boot the system should see your old drive (in My Computer) and you can move your data to the new drive. The only other thing I would add is that Dell likes to ship their systems with low wattage power supplies. If you encounter any problems with your system (i.e. modem no longer works etc.) then retrieve your data that you need and disconnect your old drive as quickly as you can. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.