Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Finland!, I'm a first time 'threader' (if that's a good term)..
Here's the problem, which I have been working on for many, many hours, to no avail!

I am using Windows xp home edition, with service pack 3, Amd athlon 64 cpu,
with an Asus A8N-E motherboard, the chipset of which is the nVidia nforce4 ultra.
Recently my chip fan went dead, although the computer still worked fine, I removed it (had to remove the graphics card, quite a few cables, then the motherboard to get behind it) and am in the process of getting the replacement (apparently the good folks at Asus know about these faulty fans), then I noticed that my speakers had gone dead. Everthing else is working fine. Pretty sure I've put it all back together again.
In sounds and audio devices it says 'no audio device', and in hardware my Realtek ac'97 is not listed. Also in device manager everthing is working properly, although again there is no Realtek listing.
Obviously I try to download the Ac'97 driver (I think it comes with the A8n-sli motherboard support cd) and then it comes up (in device mngr) but still doesn't work, and now there is an exclamation mark beside it in device manager, and it says that device will not work (code 10).
But since then I have:
1. Downloaded Everest and discovered that both pci/pnp audio, and pci/pnp network screens are blank, grey screens. This scares me almost as much as the famous bsod, which I have only thankfully seen on a teeshirt.. leading me to think perhaps something was damaged in the re-assembly.
2. Updated first the latest chipset , then bios, from the Asus site
3. tried to install Realtek Ac'97 again, because it had dissapeared..

And that's where I am now (sob) still without any audio, can anyone help, I have scoured websites and forums for an answer, but nothing was quite this specific problem..

The speakers are quite old, but still great logitech x-230 dual drive speakers with ported subwoofer. They just plug into the 'line out' on the back of the chassis case.

I would appreciate any help with this dilemma. Thanks from Bartleboothhttp://www.techsupportforum.com/images/smilies/1-pray.gif

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Are you using a separate Sound Card or is this onboard Sound? If it is onboard, make sure PCI sound is enabled in the bios. If it is a card, make sure the card is seated properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.