Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speakers dont work on my computer. The speakers originally went with this computer but I used the speakers on my other xp. Now I bring the speakers back over to this computer and it wont work. It doesnt seem to be missing an hardware, but when I try to adjust speaker settings I wont be able to do anything. The speakers still work on my other computer but not on this one. Anyone help plz?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
The volume is unmuted and raised, correct?

If you put your ear next to the speaker when it's supposed to be playing something, can you hear it faintly? If so, I'd check that the speaker is getting power from its own AC adapter- while speakers used to be powered by the sound card, the majority today use their own amp. You'll want to make sure that's switched on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I try playing something on any media player (ive tried many) it wont play. Heres a message when trying on Windows Media player:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Related question

Hey, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have been trying for a while to figure out how to divert both the left and right sound channels to the right speaker. If you adjust the balance option in Windows' Volume Control all the way to the right, it just turns off the left speaker. I want the left speaker's sound to come out of the right speaker as well as the right speaker's sound too. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Logos, please start a new thread. That way the two problems won't be confused. Thanks.

naruto- It looks like this isn't a poblem with the speakers themselves but a problem with the sound card driver. If you have the disk that goes along with it, try reinstalling the driver.

If you don't have a disk, you'll need to get the driver from the manufacturer website or find it on a driver site. We can help you find the model if you don't know which it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx but no, even I did find the right one I needed, my mom wouldnt buy it anywayz. My other computer crashed but she wont but the disk to reinstall the op.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You don't need to buy anything to reinstall the driver. The driver (a piece of software) is for the sound card, which is already inside your computer.

You'll need to find out what model of sound card you have before you download the driver for it. You can use Everest home edition to find out the model. Then you can go to the manufacturer's website to download the driver, or search for it if it's no longer available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok I clicked on multimedia, then PCI/PnP Audio because Windows Audio didnt have anything in it, and under PCI/Pnp Audio is this:

Device Description Type
Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0] PCI

wat do I do now?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It looks like you are using your motherboard onboard sound, so use Everest again to find out the make and model of your motherboard, go to their website and they should have a list of drivers for your motherboard make, one of which will be the AC'97 drivers. All you need to download them, install and that should solve your problem.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
No problem, naturo, glad I could help.

Nice job byroz, that was right on the mark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.