Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using Toshiba S5200-801, WinXP. The deal is: at a certain point some nVidia controls disappeared from display settings-advanced (they were sitting under additional tabs with nVidia logo; what I'm missing most is selection between TV, digital or analog display). Just to make sure formatted the harddrive and reinstalled windows and videocard driver - all reappeared. After I'd installed all MS patches and updates in automatic mode the problem came back. Has anybody any experience with that issue? Toshiba forum didn't help; no driver updates available on the net. If I reinstall Windows again, patch it manually 1 by 1 and pin the bugger down (hope it's just 1 single hotfix which does that), any chance to uninstall it and live without? Can I apply all later patches or the whole system will get messed up?

MS boldly charge money for techsupport while it's basically their f...up

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF....

What happens when you simply uninstall nVidia drivers and then reinstall without formatting etc??

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Ok...before doing anything too drastic such as formatting and reinstalling again, try removing all your windows updates and hotfixes (but leave SP2 for now). Then uninstall and reinstall the nVidia drivers then ensure that your tray items are present then you can manually add the updates one by one to see which one triggers the problem.

But by all means, you can opt to reinstall Windows again..completely up to you :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I will try. By the way, could you please enlighted me on another thing: when I try to run offline updates by means of WUTool the program says that the server is unreachable or something like this. No big deal but with the rate I have it's just quite a bit annoyning to wait 'til the whole 200 smth meg are downloaded.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Not sure why that happens but you can disable the Windows Update tool and deal with the updates manually...may help finding the culprit too :)

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
From what i've read, it seems to be a very important security patch.

Have a dig around on Microsoft to find out more information so you can make your mind up :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.