Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm running a dedicated server and want to run game servers on it, primarily source engine games. What is happening is that once the server starts, the server will appear online but with extremely high ping, then will time out as seen in this graph. (My internet connection is fine, this is server side)

Sometimes I will be able to actually get in game and I see that i have a ping around 5 or 1, but my ping should be around 100. The server is so laggy its like playing at 1 fps with 900 ping. I've tested other games too which include (counter strike source, left 4 dead, left 4 dead 2, left 4 dead 2 demo, team fortress 2, team fortress classic, condition zero, counter strike 1.6, ship)
However one game actually worked correctly without the connection problems as the other ones and that was Killing Floor server. I'm not sure why this one works and all the rest won't.

The people at the server hosts tech support said to check over the config files. I've checked all the configs and disabled the firewall, but still have the same problem. They even moved my hard drive over to another server of the same hardware and it solved the problem for a few min, but shortly after it did the same thing again. I've tried both with a default server without any sort of modding on it (strait download from Valve, and ran the server) and one with mods on it and they both acted the same. Running a trace route and regular connections to the server work great, just not with the game servers. I'm about 98% sure that I set up the source dedicated server up correctly because I've done it many times on other servers over the years and this has never happened. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

-Server specs
Server OS: Windows server 2003 standard 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q9400 (2.66Ghz).
Ram:8GB
Uplink:100mbps
HD:640GB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Connection speeds seem fine, although they differ.

Speakeasy
Download Speed: 95127 kbps (11890.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 7557 kbps (944.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

-Also the servers were at a point where the ping graphs were correct and looked something like this

However when even ever a player joins the game, they get a much lower ping and it still lags like the server is limiting the connection or srcds just lags to the point where its un-playable. When I was in the game with a few others, we had pings around 50ms which we should have pings around 90ms. Before the ping graph seemed to fix itself we had pings around 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also forgot to mention the servers did work on my old host with almost the same specs as the current server which is listed in the 1st post. Only thing different really is the processor and RAM amount.

These were the old server specs
Server OS: Windows server 2003 standard 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 (2.4Ghz).
Ram:4GB
Uplink:100mbps
HD:640GB

·
Hardware Team , Games Team
4,651 Posts
For a source engine game you need at least 700fps for it to perform properly (As ive been told) and 1000fps is preferable
In console type "fps_max 750" For some reason setting it to 700 actually sets it to about 649 or 680.
Are there any console errors?

This is also part of my config if you want setup a Ticket 66 server.
Code:
sv_allowdownload 1
sv_allowupload 1
sv_mincmdrate 30
sv_maxcmdrate 67
sv_minupdaterate 20
sv_maxupdaterate 67
sv_minrate 10000
sv_maxrate 30000
sv_maxupdaterate 120

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I usually ran at fps_max 300 which because its not too important to me to have high fps like 500-1000 ect. I also have been using the same rates for the past few years also and they have worked fine. Also it does the same thing for a default server without any config/mods to it. Basically just download it and run it. And this isn't just css, does it for all the other games i've mentioned too.

No there are no console errors. It just seems like the game is running like it uses 120% cpu usage when it really only uses like 0.1%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.