Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, :wave:

I could really use some help here.
I am currently working on my sis in laws puter, upgrading it a bit.

I am having problem getting the bios to recognise the new hard drive. I have put it in my computer, it works fine, I used it as both a master and a slave, no probs. I have checked her ide cables, again, they work fine, plus I used mine which I know work well and it still doesn't see it. I thought it might be the hard drive itself (which is a Maxtor 40gig, 7200rpm) so I tried mine (a 80 gig seagate).. nope, doesn't see that either.

so I download the lastest bios and flash the bios, that works, but still not seeing the hard drive..
I believe the ide plugs on the mobo work fine, because they see the burner and cdrom, also the tests I did with the cables proves them to work aswell..

Finally, I put the old hard drive back in.. the damn thing doesn't see that either.. :angry2: I am at a loss guys and gals.. would appreciate any new ideas, or even a fresh outside view of my own.. maybe I am not doing some thing right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Paulie and welcome to the TSF, I assume you followed "The Yellow Brick Road" to get here, like everyone else.

In your bois what are drive setting?

Example:
Primary IDE Detection Mode
Master Auto LBA
Slave Auto LBA

Secondary IDE Detection Mode
Master (CD w/r) Auto Normal (or Large)
Slave (CDRom,etc,) Auto Normal (or Large)

Like I said this just an example and Have only listed the fields I think we need to be concerned with.

Please go to bios and write down your actual settings and include them in your next post.

:ufo: :ufo:

twas
:D :D :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is exactly how the bios is setup.. I am running the hdd on its own

Primary IDE Detection Mode
Master Auto LBA
Slave None

Secondary IDE Detection Mode
Master Auto, Normal
Slave Auto, Normal

I have an interesting fact.. her old hdd, I set to slave, just to see, and guess what.. it works.. it finds a slave drive.. unbelievable!
Mind you, it doesn't work in the other cases with her new one or mine..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paulie said:

I have an interesting fact.. her old hdd, I set to slave, just to see, and guess what.. it works.. it finds a slave drive.. unbelievable!
Mind you, it doesn't work in the other cases with her new one or mine..
I just put it back to master, and it doesn't see it again... Hmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Try this:

The actual jumper on the HD is there an option for CS?

If there is set it to that and plug it into the system and see if the bios recognizes it, also in your bios settings for the primary slave: set that to auto, theres no reason to leave it set to none, if the bios doesn't detect anything nothings gonna happen anyway... it will also help with the problem tracking ...

Once your done with both the above steps,

see if the drive is recognized during boot-up and if it is, let me know if its recognized as a Slave or Master.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Okay Paulie I think we have narrowed it down to one of three things:

1.) The new hard drive is no good - I don't really think this is the problem, but it's happened to me and lot of others.

2.) We have a bent pin in the IDE hook up on the back of the drive, again not likely but possible.

3.) The master/slave/cs/etc jumper on the back of the drive is not set properly (hope, pray, cross your fingers, etc., etc........

Now to find out what's really behind doors # 2 and # 3 (Which may also tell us about door # 1).

You will need to completely remove the drive and then very carefully inspect the IDE connection for a bent or broken pin.
If there is a broken one you have to try to get the drive replaced.

If there is a bent one you'll need a non-magnetic pair of small needle nose pliers and/or a good pair tweezers, a very steady hand and of course a lot of patience. If you bought it at a store like Best Buy etc. you can try taking it back there and seeing if they would like to take a shot a it (take your receipt maybe they would rather replace it rather than take the chance of breaking it themselves, not likely, but what the heck).

Now hopefully the pins will be alright and we can move on to what I hope the problem really is, the Jumper setting. This should be covering the two pins for "Master" if its anywhere else move it to "Master" If there no jumper find one and put it on "Master". Am I making myself clear - make sure you have it Jumpered "Master". I just went back and read your original post and saw that you already tried the drive in your pc and it worked. So we don't have to worry about whether the drive is good or not.

twas

S

·
0 Posts
Is her old hard drive a Western Digital?

What size is the old drive?

And what kind of motherboard does she have?

It may be that it won't be able to see a hard drive that big.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Lads (and I appreciate all this help BTW)

The Maxtor HD actually doesn't have the settings on the case or anywhere else for that matter.. but I am assuming that master is the setting nearest to the ide right??.. even so, if it isn't, I have literally tried and retried EVERY setting, So I then put the HD in my computer and found out for certain that the master setting *is* the one closest to the ide. and ran the drive as a master on my computer.. it actually runs perfect as the specs go..

Just then, I pulled everything apart.. cables, jumpers, you name it.. cant find a single bent or broken pin, everything looks sweet from the outside..

I am about to pull the entire mobo out and clean some bits and pieces (its pretty dirty) and hopefully when I put it back together, it magically works.. yeah right :p

If you guys think of anything else, I will be around for a long time yet, and again, I REALLY appreciate your time
thanks.. Paulie

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Maxtor HD actually doesn't have the settings on the case or anywhere else for that matter..
That's right, they have a little piece of paper that comes with them that tells you jumper position, I usually ink it on he HD when I install.

but I am assuming that master is the setting nearest to the ide right??..
Not allways...............

I am about to pull the entire mobo out and clean some bits and pieces (its pretty dirty) and hopefully when I put it back together, it magically works.. yeah right

Works with memory and PCI/ ISA/ AGP cards, but I have never seen an IDE cable too dirty to work.

Welcome to the board! Sorry I couldn't wave a magic wand- I think it's something little we are overlooking; it looks like all the bases are covered...................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.