Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm facing a bad problem. I have lost the volume icon as well as all form of windows sound, but there is nothing wrong with the sound card itself as I manged to fiddle faddle with my Winamp settings and can play mp3s fine.

Upon inspection, the Multimedia properties of my driver (SiS 7018 aUDIO dRIVER) says that the driver is enabled but inactive due to an unknown problem. The playback device area is grayed out.
There are no crosses or exclamation marks next to any device in the Device Manager.

Any advice?

PS This is not a sound problem, but I have to ask anyway - shortly after this problem occured, I installed Internet Explorer Six, and suddenly, whenever I type in a forum, the words lag very badly...it is a long time before my message materialises on the screen. How do I fix this? It was never like this before. The scrolling is slow too.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You may want to scan for viruses and spyware, when multiple problems start happening, it's time to think about a common cause.

·
Registered
336 Posts
run virus scan here.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/

Download Adaware at www.lavasoftusa.com

open the window where your soundcard is listed and see what your other options are.

You could try deleting the driver in Device Manager...reboot and let Found New Hardware Wizard reinstall it. 99% of the time I found that I had to remove hardware after deleting the driver and then reinstalling it. (don't have that problem with XP).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran the Adaware scan...removed a few files...the great news is that the forum typing problem has cleared! Thanks a lot.:winkgrin: However the bigger problem, the audio one, has yet to be solved.

I tried many solutions listed on the internet...considered IRQ conflict...went on safe mode and uninstalled driver...no dice. :confused: :upset:

·
Registered
336 Posts
did you try deleting the driver...powerdown and remove the card...reinsert the card and powerup? Let Found New Hardware Wizard reinstall or whatever driver is required. If it was working previously you don't need to change PCI slots.

before doing that you might try reinstall an earlier registry.

Using ScanReg

Another of those enhancements which should make using Windows 98 more user friendly is the ScanReg Registry Checker.

Each day, after a successful boot, a backup copy of your registry is created (containing the System.dat, User.dat, System.ini and Win.ini files). By default Windows 98 allows you to keep up to 5 copies (rb???.cab - rb???.cab) of your registry (which are saved in the \Windows\Sysbckup folder by default), saved in Windows cabinet files (*.cab).

When Windows notices a problem with your registry, it will automatically replace the registry with a backup copy. The good thing about this new feature is that you can easily restore a previous registry "by hand":

1. Start Windows in MS-DOS mode (press the Ctrl key as soon as your PC starts. This will get you the Bootup menu. Once the menu is up, choose Command prompt only)

2.Type Scanreg /restore at the prompt

3. You will get a screen where you can select which registry backup to use

4. Choose your backup and press Restore

5. When ready you'll be prompted to Restart your computer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Liberty said:
Ran the Adaware scan...removed a few files...the great news is that the forum typing problem has cleared! Thanks a lot.:winkgrin: However the bigger problem, the audio one, has yet to be solved.

I tried many solutions listed on the internet...considered IRQ conflict...went on safe mode and uninstalled driver...no dice. :confused: :upset:
As a professional computer user i have never installed a driver with setup.exe , try to install your device with

-> Right click on device from Device Manager , update driver , have disk and chose the one from your setup dir , the inf its needed then reboot your computer even if your not asked.

·
Registered
529 Posts
When you pull the card out, try putting it in another slot. It could possibly be a bad slot. They happen. Also, I think PCI slots use diferent resources for each slot to a certain extent. May not be much though, but it is worth a shot. I've had a device go down in one slot only to work again when I moved it. Even trading cards between slots has proven to help from time to time.:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi I would listen to lectra player LOL. hey lectraplayer lol.

really listen to him he is smart *** with computeres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.