Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a long drawn out spyware problem a month ago. All is now well with my computer except the sound doesn't work.

I have a Dell XPS400 with Windows XP, SP3 and I use windows update and all my files are up to date.

My sound device is Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC. I have tried to update the driver which caused it not to work. The device rollback didn't work either so I did a system restore back to yesterday. The device now shows it is working but still no sound. (I have tried walking through the windows help to make sure that all my settings are correct)

I then went to Dell and downloaded their version of the driver but that appears to be the same one I have and it still doesn't work.

My spyware problem was truly awful and I even had to change a BIOS setting to get things back. I mention this because I wonder if that is the problem.

Erik

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
In Device Manager, are there any yellow question marks or exclamation points?

Also - if you still believe your computer might be infected - it wouldn't hurt to have our experts verify that your PC is actually clean of any kind of malware.
You can follow these instructions:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...read-before-posting-malware-removal-help.html

Please be patient as our experts are very busy.

Thank you,

-Coolfreak

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My computer is not currently infected with any malware. I have all the monitors and anti-spyware programs running and there are no warnings or problems.

I don't have any yellow question marks for the drivers. The speaker is built into the monitor. The blue light is on but no sound comes out.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Although your anti-malware programs may show that you are clean, there still may be some left over malware that is causing your problems.

I would advise having our experts verify your PC is 100% clean before we proceed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received a clean bill of health and ran all of the external tools that they wanted. There is already a thread here were my system was declared clean. However, the sound hasn't worked at all for the last month. This isn't a new problem and has been around since the malware removal.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
That's my fault, I didn't realize our experts have already said your system was clean.

You mentioned you updated the driver, and that caused the sound to stop working. Why did you try to update the driver?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sound was not working. I updated the driver from the sound card vendor website and then the sound card driver wouldn't start (I had an exclamation point in the device manager). I went back to a system restore point so now the driver loads correctly but alas it still doesn't work.

I then went to Dell and downloaded their version of the driver(it was an older version and may have been the same one I already had). I loaded this version and it successfully loaded but still no sound.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I downloaded the driver from the Dell website and reinstalled with no luck. I tried the instructions about changing the registry and loading the uaa file but that didn't work either. How do I know it is not a hardware problem? Can I just buy another sound card and does it need to go into the computer?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Yes. You could buy another sound card. They are fairly cheap now a days too. Very easy to install. It would go inside the computer.

If that's the option you want, I'll have this thread moved to hardware for you and they will be able to help you more :smile:

Let me know,

-Coolfreak

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.