Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post here, and I am pleased that this forum exists.

The problem: While playing mp3s, a DVD, or CDs an occasional skip occurs. Nothing major, just an annoyance but...well there it is, it is annoying.

I followed the troubleshooting guide, which, other than wasting some time, was no help. No device conflicts show.

I've tried WinAmp, Realplayer, and Windows Media Player, and the problem continues, so it's not the player.

The system is Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 5600 notebook. MOre than 60 % of the hard drive is free. I run spyware and registry cleaners and optimizers regulalrly, and keep my sytem streamlined for maximum efficiency.

The default audio device is Sigma Tel Audio with Legacy Audio drivers. It is a stock system with no aftermarket adaptations or tweaks.

Can anyone suggest some fixes or threads to foillow?

Appreciative of any help,

Thanks,

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi,

Your CPU usage is probably just spiking. That would cause music to skip. I would check what process is making the CPU spike, and if it is another program running, check if you can kill it. You can do this with task manager.

What are the specs of this laptop?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Matt,

Thanks for responding. I've tried running the players exclusive of any other programs, but the skips still occur.

A typo in my first message: the notebook is a Dell 8600 Inspiron, with Intel Pentium (R) M processor 1.60 GHz 1.59 GHz, 768 MB of RAM. Virtual Memory is set at 1152 MB, with Performance Options adjusted for best performance.

Theoretically, I shouldn't have any audio play problems. Unless you can see something I've overlooked.

Thanks again,

Brooke

The system is a 60gb hard drive, with

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
It still might be the CPU spiking, check with the task manager. Spiking CPU usage can make even high end single core CPU's skip while playing music.

Open up the task manager by doing a Ctrl + Alt + Del combination and watch how much the CPU is being used throughout the duration of the song in the performance tab. If it goes to 100%, the music will probably skip, and that will be the cause.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Well, depending on what the process is, you may just be able to kill it. If it is a Windows process, you should see what it is. It also may be a virus or some other malware mimicking a Windows process. Either way, you should post the name of the process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Matt,

A follow up: Checked the task manager during play and it averages 1-3 % and when the skip occurs there is a spike but only between 19 - 23%. Any suggestions or ideas? This one has me stumped.

Brooke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Matt,

As I mentioned earlier:

A follow up: Checked the task manager during play and it averages 1-3 % and when the skip occurs there is a spike but only between 19 - 23%.

Also, I use Norton anti-virus and scan and purge spyware regularly, plus registry scans and repairs.

As I stated: Any suggestions or ideas? This one has me stumped.

Brooke

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
When did this start? Did you try doing a system restore to before this happened?

This may be a longshot here, but set your power scheme in Windows XP to "Always On" and see if it skips less.

Another thing to try: go into task manager again and switch the update speed to "High" (View > > Update Speed > High) and see if that reveals any high CPU usage when it skips. Also check how much free RAM you have.

BTW, how often do these skips occur?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.