Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't seem to figure out what's up. All of my drivers are up to date, I've tried disk defragmentation, even did a registry cleanup with Registry Easy (which for some reason dramatically increased browser loading times so I restored a backup), but nothing seems to be helping.

This happens in games too, frequent pausing and hanging, but mostly I notice it in youtube. The sound will either skip (even if it's buffered) or it will glitch and do this horrible buzzing noise.

It seems to be related with my mouse occasionally hanging in one place as I'm trying to move it. I've tried using Resource Monitor but I'm not really 100% sure how to see what's going wrong.

I've tried googling this issue, but none of the quick solutions on other forums seem to do the trick.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asrock A55M
Processor: AMD A8-3850 APU 2.90 GHz
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460

I don't have a separate soundcard.

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi GuyFaux,

Are you using the onboard audio integrated onto the motherboard? If so, try re-installing the sound card drivers. If you can, try to get your hands on an add-on sound card and install it on your computer and see if the problem persist while using the spare, add-on sound card. Hope everything works out well for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, this is embarrassing.

I went to download my motherboard's sound driver, and it appears that I NEVER installed the Realtek sound driver for the Asrock mobo, since the sound appeared to be working. It replaced the default one that Windows had been using.

Works a little differently, but not only is my sound clearer, but the skipping/buzzing is gone, and another problem I was having (which I thought was unrelated) that involved any video hanging/pausing at the beginning while the audio played uninterrupted.

Thanks for the obvious advice. I feel like the person who called tech support who fixed everything by turning it off and turning it back on again. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!

Alright, I was wrong, the problem isn't fixed. It did seem to improve the issue, but I'm still getting skips and buzzes, and now videos are starting to freeze again at the very beginning. It seems to be gradually getting worse all over again.

Why would installing the Realtek audiodriver make the issue better but not solve it? And why would it slowly get worse?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I didn't install the VGA driver because I use a the GTX 460 graphics card rather than the onboard graphics of my processor or motherboard, but I'll install it anyway and see if it helps.

I'm having a harder time finding the chipset driver you mentioned. There's nothing like that in the Asrock website. I even bought my processor separate from the motherboard. I don't know as much about processors (I had someone pick it out for me for hardware compatibility), but I didn't think they needed drivers.

Anyway I can't find any drivers for the A8-3850 either. The AMD website has a downloads section, but I only see graphics drivers for Radeon cards, which I don't have.

Edit: No, wait, I did install the driver. I think I was trying anything at this point. It did say failures occurred in the installation, and the log said that the part that failed to install was Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay, I was seeing if the problems persisted.

While this stuff did lessen the severity of the issue, it didn't fix it. I'm still having the same issues.

In fact I'm finding that my microphone output is now WORSE with the new driver. It's cutting out as I talk.

This might be unrelated, but for awhile I've been getting a constant buzzing in my speakers and headphones (regardless of which jack it's plugged into), which I was told was called by bad channels on my motherboard, or something? Could that be causing my issues? Or something wrong with the processor? Temperatures are normal, by the way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update. The problems are getting worse again, much like they did before.

I found out a coworker studied and fixes computers. He says it sounds like a caching problem with either the RAM or the Processor. Something about the RAM sticks possibly being the wrong speed for the motherboard, or they overheated too many times (they're pretty old), so I'm going to replace the RAM with 2400MHz sticks and see if that fixes the issue. I get them tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FINAL UPDATE:

Replaced my RAM, which was apparently the source of the cache dump problem. Fixed all my issues. I'm not techy enough to explain why, but my coworker said that one or both of the sticks had probably been corrupted/damage from too much overheating over the years, and they were very old sticks (about 4 years). Replaced them with new ones and I have no further issues.

Just letting everyone know my fix in case this ever gets googled later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.