Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My sound is fine on windows noises, games, music all that stuff. Works fine. But when I record either with my cheap microphone, or plug my guitar amp into my microphone slot with an adaptor that fits on the end of a normal cable, I get ok results coupled with an increase/decrease in volume, coupled with a 'swishy' flangery effect which I cant seem to shift.

Is this problems normal? If so what causes it?

Im thinking of getting a soundcard to rectify this but I dont know if it actually will.

Im currently using my onboard sound which is a Realtek HD audio ALC 888

thanks for any advice/help,

Ant x

·
White Hat ;)
1,234 Posts
Onboard audio is never ideal for solid sound. You are going to have some level of strange interference in the captured audio. A dedicated card would be better for what you want to do. It could also be the guitar's pickups having a strange effect on your sound chip.

My friend who records guitar with his computer runs the guitar through an amp and then through an external audio interface before it hits the computer.

Good luck!

·
White Hat ;)
1,234 Posts
I would say the onboard audio is encountering interference from the devices around it. Onboard audio is often a little chip on the motherboard. The interference level will depend on the quality of its circuitry, and/or positioning on the motherboard.

The best way to solve this problem is to buy a new sound card. These often have higher quality circuitry and benefit from being positioned further away from the other noisy components on the motherboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.