Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, this one is a tricky. My PC f****d up and so I had to reinstall Windows, and so I lost everything. And when I restarted my sound card won't work. It won't play ANYTHING. However whenever one of those annoyign Windows ad's come up it makes this beeping sound (it also does this whenever I am confirming something in another program like the save changes on Word). This is what it says when I go to device manager, a little yellow exclamation mark shows up for some reason. What do I do?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Have you tried right-clicking on the AC97 and choosing update drivers?
There are also other possibilities, but this could be a first move.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Lucas Jackson said:
OK, this one is a tricky. My PC f****d up and so I had to reinstall Windows, and so I lost everything. And when I restarted my sound card won't work. It won't play ANYTHING. However whenever one of those annoyign Windows ad's come up it makes this beeping sound (it also does this whenever I am confirming something in another program like the save changes on Word). This is what it says when I go to device manager, a little yellow exclamation mark shows up for some reason. What do I do?

\\

Hi,

There are two things you need to do.

First of all, get rid of the bad language in the "My PC ......... up", because this is a family forum and we don't condone that type of language.

Second, when you get to device manager, right click on that little yellow excalmation mark area and click update driver with your sound card drivers in the CDRom. However, I would recommend simply putting your motherboard disk in the CDRom and installing the AC97 drivers that is on your motherboard disk. When you update the drivers, then your problems should be fixed. I would recommend just using the motherboard disk.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

When you purchased your computer, there is a disk that comes with it. Put that in the CDRom and look for AC97 drivers and that would be it. Also, you did not mention it, but there are also drivers (chipset drivers) on that disk that need to be put in the computer for proper operation. Let us know if you have problems.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi Lucas,

Thanks for editing the post, we all make mistakes from time to time.

About the disks, I am not positive about what you are saying. Do you have just a startup disk with Windows on it or do you have a Windows operating system disk, plus a motherboard disk. Either way, your AC97 drivers should be on the motherboard disk, and if you have only a proprietary (like Dell, etc) startup disk, then the drivers should be on that. Put the thing in a CDRom and do a search and see if they are there. If you got a motherboard disk like (like an Asus, Gigabyte, etc), then the AC97 file would be on that to download.

If you have only one, then put that in your CDRom, right click on the yellow mark beside there and click update drivers....if you need to, then point the search to the CDRom disk, but it should find it by itself and update the drivers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try this way later. Hope it does work. Thanks for all your help! And BTW, just thought I'd tell you all that I got warned for my first post, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, still going a bit awry. I downloaded Service Pack 2, and now I seem to have this other sound device called Unimodem Half Duplex Audio Device, and whenever I go into iTunes and try to play something from their music store (where you can preview the song before you buy) it plays but no sound comes out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's the modem it's trying to play through.

Double click on the device in device manager, go to the resources tab and see if there is any conflict there.

I would also try disabling the modem, reinstall the sound card drivers and see this exclamation mark still comes up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is an on board sound chip you have. All you need to do is download the necessary codec, install it and your sound should start to work.

This Link will take you to the download page. Simply select your operating system, download the file, install it and restart your computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Still completely baffled. Downloaded them using that second link, and I extracted them into a folder conveniently called "sound" in My Documents. I have the following files: UDIO3D.DLL (4.12.1.2008), CMICNFG (Control Panel Extension), CMUDA (Security Catalog), CMUDA (Setup Information), CMUDA (System File), CMUDA.DLL (5.12.1.25), CRLDS3D.DLL (4.12.1.2002), UDAPROP.DLL (5.0.2195.14).

And the C-Media AC97 has still got a yellow question mark next to it, and is still displaying the same message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.". I have tried uninstalling it, and then reinstalling it, and it says that there was a problem when installing the device and it might not work properly (which it isn't). Just thought I'd add that for you guys.

What do I do with these files?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New sound problem

Still completely baffled. Downloaded them using that second link, and I extracted them into a folder conveniently called "sound" in My Documents. I have the following files: UDIO3D.DLL (4.12.1.2008), CMICNFG (Control Panel Extension), CMUDA (Security Catalog), CMUDA (Setup Information), CMUDA (System File), CMUDA.DLL (5.12.1.25), CRLDS3D.DLL (4.12.1.2002), UDAPROP.DLL (5.0.2195.14).

And the C-Media AC97 has still got a yellow question mark next to it, and is still displaying the same message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.". I have tried uninstalling it, and then reinstalling it, and it says that there was a problem when installing the device and it might not work properly (which it isn't). Just thought I'd add that for you guys.

What do I do with these files?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.