Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently reformatted my computer, about 6 days ago, and I had many problems with my internet connection. I spoke with Linksys and Rogers executives for hours and hours, and they finally fixed it.

But then I figured out I have no sound drivers, and in 'Sounds and audio devices,' it says I have no playback, recording, or audio device at all.

I've looked for HOURS, had many many problems trying to install Sound Blaster Live (I didn't have it before, but I was told to), and other things. I'm running windows XP Home edition.

The only thing I know about my pc technically is that my motherboard is an Asus p5p800. And I've looked at the asus site, still, no good.

One thing that occured to me was that I could try updating my BIOS by the instructions listed below, but it might not work and I don't have any floppy disks at the moment, though my dad has some at his place.

http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us

Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
G'Day spirosx, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

Seeing that you have totally reformatted your machine, you will need the original Driver CD that came with the Motherboard to install the necessary Drivers (including sound).

If you do not have the Motherboard CD, you can download most of the Drivers needed for your Motherboard from the ASUSTek website.

Your Motherboard Drivers are here, (click the coloured link...its 4th in the list. (SoundMAX for Windows XP.)
Navigate to your Download by entering Motherboard for the Product > Socket 775 for "Series" > P5P800 > "Search".
All the other Drivers are on this site too, by navigating to the sub-headings.
An alternative download site.
I recommend that you 'save' the download to your computer rather then using the "Open" or "Run" option.
By the way, you should also go to the Windows Update site to download and install all the necessary Security Updates too.

Good Luck with it.
Post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I tried downloading... But I have a new problem. ):

The thing is, when I'm downloading something that takes.. well let's say over 10 minutes to download, my internet will disconnect before it finishes.

I tried downloading the sound driver six times, the same thing happened. Even twice in my laptop, still, no good. When it disconnects, I can't resume the download, and the only way to get my internet working again is to power the modem off, then on again.

·
11,900 Posts
Hi spirosx,

A couple of questions:...

1: What type of Internet connection do you have? Dial-Up; ADSL; or Cable?

2: Have you ever tried using a Download Manager? If Not, try the Free DownLoad Manager
(Click the coloured Link.)
FDM will resume downloads if your Internet connection is interrupted for any reason.

Post back with the information.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi spirosx,

A couple of questions:...

1: What type of Internet connection do you have? Dial-Up; ADSL; or Cable?

2: Have you ever tried using a Download Manager? If Not, try the Free DownLoad Manager
(Click the coloured Link.)
FDM will resume downloads if your Internet connection is interrupted for any reason.

Post back with the information.

Kind Regards,

1. Cable, never had this problem before either.

2. Thanks a bunch, I will check it out following this post and post again with my results from the other download you gave me. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay well I installed it, after a few seconds i got a popup "Audio driver installation failed. Do you want to continue the installing?" I just clicked Yes and then I restarted my computer when it finished, I got a message "No pci driver intalled' or something like that.

·
11,900 Posts
Hi spirosx,

Try this...

Right Click the "My Computer" Desktop Icon > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > View > Show hidden Devices.
Now the list will be expanded showing either Yellow Exclamation Marks (!) or Red (X's).
In particular Under Sound and Audio, if they do appear, right click on the item and update driver, and let Windows® update the Driver automatically for you.
When finished, reboot the computer, and report back here with the outcome.

Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi spirosx,

Try this...

Right Click the "My Computer" Desktop Icon > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > View > Show hidden Devices.
Now the list will be expanded showing either Yellow Exclamation Marks (!) or Red (X's).
In particular Under Sound and Audio, if they do appear, right click on the item and update driver, and let Windows® update the Driver automatically for you.
When finished, reboot the computer, and report back here with the outcome.

Regards,
There is no Sound and Audio section in device manager. There's "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers", but no Sound and Audio.

It might be because in "Other Devices", "Multimedia Audio Controller" is listed saying no drivers have been installed and I can't install the drivers because the wizard cannot find the necessary drivers.

·
11,900 Posts
Ok,

Try going back to the links that I gave you in my Post #2 and download SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3630WHQL driver , or the Sound Blaster MB Live! Setup utility and see what happens.

Let me know the outcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.