Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah so I have an onboard AC'97 soundcard in my computer, and when I plug any kind of speakers or earphones in it, I hear a strange, faint and somewhat-constant "scratching" sound. I've had this problem since I bought my computer half-a-year ago from my friend, and to fix this, I deactivated this soundcard in my BIOS and put a Creative soundcard in instead. Everything worked perfectly, the sound was top-notch, I didn't hear any buzzing sound. For reasons that I posted somewhere else on this website, I took my Creative soundcard out of my computer and reactivated the AC'97 soundcard. I still got that weird scratchy sound problem, and I'd like to fix this.

Another friend of mine once had a problem similar to mine.. The interference was coming from his monitor and the buzzing/scratchy sound increased when he was moving his mouse, and by "muting" something in the sound control panel, I could get rid of it. Now, in my case, I don't really hear a volume increase of the scratching sound on my computer when I move the mouse or when I shut down my monitor. BUT, I do hear increased scratching sounds when my hard drive is writing, which I didn't hear when I had my Creative soundcard on. I hear the sound no matter how high or low I turn the volume (both in my computer's sound control panel or on my speakers). Also, I think it might be good to note that sounds (not the scratching sound, everything else) come out louder with the AC'97 on.

I don't understand why I'm hearing this weird sound on a soundcard that is fixed and fused with the whole motherboard of my computer. Why the hell would they mass-produce a pre-built computer with this problem? The real name of the card is Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97, apparently from RealTek.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.