Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've installed mandrake 9.1 recently. my audio chip is SiS 7012. it recognizes it. but at the start boot time a meesage comes "error in initialiazing or opening port /dev/dsp". what does it mean. i don't know.
also I don't find any file or directory named /dev/dsp in my system. i think it is necessary, then how can I create it?
after then i play an mp3 file on XMMS it shows all the graphics and behaves normal. it seems it is playing the song normally, but no sound is there. please help me. thanks.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
/dev/dsp file not present

I don't find any file or directory named /dev/dsp in my system. i think it is necessary, then how can I create it?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
/dev/dsp problem

i've try for mknod command but it won't work. saying that arguments are not full. so i saw man pages then got the syntax
mknod /dev/dsp 14 3 c|b|p|u
where c-cgahracter device
b-block device
i got confused and give 'c' it won't work. then i deleted the /dev/dsp file. then tried to recreate it, but this time it won't create and told the major device is already used.
what will i do now?

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-ohci
above snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 ali5455

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
/dev/dsp problem

thanks gotissues68,
i use $mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3 and the file created.
but when i change the permissions to 777 from root but still the sound doesn't come. after logout and log into other user it shows the file attrib as old rw-------.
it seems the permissions 777 don't work after logout.

help me.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
/dev/dsp problem

thanks of all, i got the sound working. but with a little problem still there that when i login in any user it works for 1st time but after i logoff and switch to other user it says on login that the /dev/dsp is busy and it doesn't play the song. so i've to restart it to get the sound works. is there any clue ?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all. i recreated the user and it is working fine. bye.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.