Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I recently reinstalled windows xp but the new version does not have any sound. When i go to "volume controller", it says "There are no active mixers available." How do i fix this and get sound? :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
XP seems to also have an issue with having more than one audio device attached to it, it you've got onboard audio and are trying to add a new sound card, try disabling the on board audio in device manager. Just the audio driver for the onboard sound, not any of the codecs, windows needs those.....

:tongue2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to device manager and there is a '!' beside my sound blaster card. I deleted it and reinstalled it but it stil has this problem. Under properties it says this:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I'm not sure how i am suppose to do this and what devices to disable. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar problem... what kind of SB do you have?
Because some SB drivers (oddly enough the newer ones) seem to have wierd reactions with WinXP...

Try working with the native Windows drivers. It's far from the best, but it'll tell you if your drivers are the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
:smash:
Order! Order!

You've got an IRQ or DMA conflict on your hands!
I do so love these, here's what you do.
Open device manager back up, and change the view to where you can see the device's IRQ connection [click on view] (I can't recall which option it is atm).
The IRQ's and DMA's pretty much do the same thing, they request processor time for hardware and system devices, this pretty much means that you're going to have to get rid of something else that will open up an IRQ number ( I suggest something your computer isn't using, like a SATA or RAID controler.) When you find one that you can get rid of without losing any system capabilities, don't uninstall it, just disable it in device manager, that should free up an IRQ address.
Also some BIOS allow for automatic selction of a sound card's IRQ address, poke about in your BIOS to see if you can.

Reply if this works, or even if it doesn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disabled a a few things under the IRQ connection. There is still a "!" beside sound blaster card. However, when i click on properties it no longer says there is not enough space available, instead it says:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Please please help me sort this problem!! Its realy pissing me off, i just want sound! I'm not very into computers so i don't really know what im doing! Please help!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Leave the other devices you disabled alone, insted open up your case and put the card into another PCI slot and see what your computer thinks then. It may just be that your machine is running out of memory resourses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.