·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was installing WIN XP Pro on my new system:

Asus P4c800 Deluxe
Intel 2.6 mhz processor
512mb Corvair mem (compat w/MB)

I can get the system to recognize either the onboard sound chip or the Audigy 2 card. It shows hardware installed on the Creative diagostics program but no driver installed for the "multimedia Audio controller" or "Mass Storage Device".

It gives me the error "the data is invalid"

System is up and running. I've tried the disable the USB 2.0 and turned off Legacy USB 1.0, but doesn't do the trick.

Any suggestions?

CSpud

·
Registered
376 Posts
I assume that you want to use the Audigy2 and have the SoundMax turned off to avoid conflicts.

Disable the onboard audio in BIOS
Keep Legacy USB turned off
Enable USB 2.0
Check your BIOS settings for USB Mass Storage

Make sure you've got the newest Creative drivers. As a rule of thumb, never use the installation CD that came with hardware, as that software is usually out of date. Grab the newest drivers from the Creative website.

Are there any conflicts in the device manager? Pay close attention to the sound devices and USB devices. If there is a conflict, remove it from the device manager and reinstall the newest drivers.

You do have all of the latest patches from Windows Update, correct? I know there have been a couple USB updates and sound updates on there to correct problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All my settings are per your last messge. The problem is when I attempt to load drivers for the multimedia audio it tels me "the data is invalid" Same story for the USB port. The memory stick I have powers up during boot, but shuts down as soon as Windows begins to load.

I have goten all the updates from Microsoft and all I can think is its the darn P4c800 deluxe board playing mind games with me!

Other than the USB ports (although the USB mouse works) and the sound (both on-board and Audigy2) Its working like a champ.

Any other sugguestions?

thanks,
CSpud

·
Registered
376 Posts
Could it be that the driver installation files are corrupted? If you downloaded these, that could be a possibility. If this is the case, download them again, but have download managers (like Download Accelerator) turned off.

Have you got the latest BIOS version?
Here are the motherboard updates:
P4C800 Deluxe Updates

Make sure the Intel INF Utility has been installed!
Intel INF Update Utility
Not having that causes many problems.

Check for device conflicts in the device manager. Right click on My Computer, hit Properties, and Devices should be listed for you to look at. If another device is trying to use the same resources as the sound and USB, that will cause problems and cause them to not function properly.

Deactivate unused system devices to free up resources. Are you using the parallel port, serial ports, gaming port, firewire, LAN, RAID controller? If not, shut off the ones you don't use in the BIOS. Have you got additional USB ports hooked up to the motherboard? If not, you can select to enable only 4 USB ports. If you've hooked up a front USB port to the 5 and 6 connections on the motherboard, but not the 7 and 8 connections, select to enable just 6 USB ports.

Make sure the following BIOS settings are ENABLED, if they're listed:
PCI Streaming
PCI 2.1 Compliance
PCI (Dynamic) Bursting
Bus Mastering for PCI Slot

Make sure the following BIOS settings are DISABLED, if they're listed:
Virus Warning or Boot Virus Detection
VGA Palette Snoop (must be left disabled)
Video BIOS Shadowing
Video BIOS Cacheable
System BIOS Cacheable
Video RAM BIOS Cacheable
Primary or System Frame Buffer
VGA Frame Buffer
Power Management
Write cache pipelining
PnP Aware OS or PnP OS Installed (Toggle)
Peer Concurrency
Spread Spectrum

Set AGP Aperture to 128 so that more RAM is available to the system.
Set PCI Latency Timer to 64.

Write down the changes you make in the BIOS in case you want to revert to the previous settings. I'm going to do some more reading on BIOS settings. Keep those USB settings that I mentioned earlier for the BIOS.

Hopefully something I mentioned will do the trick.
:winking:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.