Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a user that cannot hear sound when she uses any Windows application. She can hear system sounds (beeps, etc.) from the small internal speaker. The sound driver is installed correctly. All volume levels are up and not on mute. I have tried multiple applications, including WMP with correct codecs, still no luck.

She used to be able to get sound out of that internal speaker (which is true on identical models we have) but cannot now. I would wonder about the speaker, but system sounds are playing fine. Any further places I should check?

·
Registered
33 Posts
first right click "my computer" icon on the desktop
then left click on "properties"
then left click on "hardware" tab
now left click on device manager.
do u see any yellow balloons with question marks ?

now for basics ,

the internal "beeping" speaker is altogether different than the external sound speakers.

so to hear the sounds from inside windows than you need to have a set of external PC speakers hooked up

either in the front or back of the computer into a LIGHT GREEN speaker jack.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All devices are properly installed, including the device drivers for the audio board. This particular model has a full speaker inside (I have the same model and it plays sound just fine without external speakers).

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
What happened just before she lost her sound? Any new software/hardware installed?
Check to make sure Windows Audio Service is enabled.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her computer experienced a Windows problem where it would restart over and over again. Ended up running a repair install of Windows XP on it. There were no viruses/malware on the drive.

I'll check the Windows Audio Service and post back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.