Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sound isn't working and when i check the details in the control panel
it says driver is enabled but inactive due to an unknown problem. any suggestions please??

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Look in the Device Manager for yellow question marks or exclamation points.

Have you tried to reinstall the drivers or update them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes. the description says "this device is working properly" there are no exclamation marks. i have also tried updating and installing but no sound is produced even though the drivers say they are working. when i click on sounds and multimedia it is greyed out and says no playback devices.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi jaz05

Windows Me can be extra-particular about drivers, especially for devices such as modems and sound cards. A new "driver model" was introduced with WinMe, called "WDM" (Windows Driver Model) - and this sort of driver works best on WinMe systems.

What sound card (on onboard sound) are you trying to use? [... and if you have the choice of installing either a ".vxd" or a ".wdm" driver for your card, try the ".wdm" version first.

You can also try booting into Safe Mode, and removing all sound devices listed in Device Manager from there. This can help if any earlier drivers and devices are cluttering up the Registry. Then try installing your card's drivers again.

If that doesn't work, and you have onboard sound, check in the Bios Setup for your motherboard that the onboard sound is set to "Enabled".

Best of luck . . . and hope 2007 is good to you!
. . . Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.