Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am new to this but need help with getting sound from my computer. when i go to the volume, i get the following message "There are no active mixer devices available. You may install mixer devices from the Add/Remove Hardware Wizard int he Control Panel". I do not know what a mixer device is, please help. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sound card??

my computer is getting no sound except for the beep it makes when i turn it on. i have speaker hooked up but still no sound. how do i know if i have a sound card installed or not? when i click on the volume it says something about the driver, i was told to reinstall that but do not know how and no one could answer that. any ideas???:4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
You'll need to look in the device manager to see what is listed under sound cards or audio devices. From there you can go to add/remove programs and delete the old drivers, download the new ones from the mfg's website and install. It is also possible that you don't have a descrete sound card, and that you have an onboard sound chip instead....the procedure is much the same, except that you will need to go to the mobo mfg's website an download the latest driver from there. What computer do you have ?, or is this a home built one ?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
right firstly, is it onboard (built into the motherboard or seperate stand alone card?) because you will need either your motherboard disk or the sound card disk.

Now if you go into device manager > right click my computer > porperties > hardware tab > device manager.

Do you have any yellow question/exclamation marks next to anything, in particular the sound devices?

Please report back what you see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is no yellow question mark beside under anything that has to do with sound. this computer used to be a computer that we used at work, im not sure what kind it is. on the front of the CPU it says "A Open". how would i know if my sound card is built into the mother board or a stand alone?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you look at the base, the line in/out and mic jacks will all be next to/close to the mouse/keyboard etc you will be able to see where each section starts and begins, if its standalone it will be on its own, in a pci slot, which is usually towards the bottom of a tower hard drive and u can also see where they start and end usually about 1.5cm width by roughly 9cm length.

Probably easier to run dais program if your not sure what youre looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.