Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have anyidea why XP refuses to allow a sound card to work in my system? The original sound card quit a few weeks ago (still have not figured out what event might have caused this) and after some investigation, I concluded it might be a bad card. Bought another, went through the install (XP sees it and then loads drivers) and when I go to Control Panel--Sounds, I still see no audio device, even though in the "Hardware" section, it lists the sound card and reports it's working properly. I've tried everything but hand stands to get these sound cards to work, but it's not working out. Something in the registry (I think) is "getting in the way" of the sound card, but I have no idea what that could be.

XP seems to load the drivers successfully, but "Sounds, ..." tabs in Control Panel is greyed out and saying there is no no sound devices. When I check the hardware device tab, I see the CM8738 PCI device and according to XP, the device is working fine.

I'm out of ideas why I can't get a sound card to work on my system all of a sudden. Perhaps a problem in the registry? What could I look for? Does XP have any "repair" utilities I might use?

Sound card gurus needed :)

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Stupid question ... you have a new sound card. Have you called tech support or thought about taking it back?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:

I've tried two sound cards--the original and a new card. Both are not working out, which leads me to believe it's an XP problem...

Regards,

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.