Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
I have a PCG-R505DL. I tried to replace the 30GB IBM Travelstar hard drive in the computer with a similar 30GB Toshiba hard drve, but now the laptop does not recognize either the presence of the new hard drive or even the old hard drive when I tried hooking that back up. The message I get within 10 seconds of trying to boot up is "Operating System not found."

The first couple of times I tried to boot up, the computer allowed me to go into the BIOS and see if it was recognizing the drive. Inside the BIOS, it said "none" for primary and secondary IDE.

What makes matters worse (and STRANGE) is that suddenly (after successfully checking the BIOS a couple of times) the laptop no longer lets me go into the BIOS when I reboot. I hit the F2 button and it only says a second time, "Operating System not found"

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this? I'm desperate!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have rephrased the problem, maybe it will seem clearer now:

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-R505DL laptop computer.

Last night, I carefully removed the original 30GB IBM Travelstar hard drive that came with the system and replaced it with a new but otherwise essentially similar 30GB Toshiba hard drive.

I put in a Windows XP CD in order to reinstall Windows on the new hard drive and when it began the installation, an error message came up that said something like "Hard Drive not present" or something like that.

So I rebooted and went into the BIOS and checked to see if it was recognizing the new drive. It wasn't: It showed "none" under primary and secondary IDE.

So I tried putting the old drive back. You would think that would have solved the problem, but, no: The message I get within 10 seconds of trying to boot up is "Operating System not found."

Then, after successfully going back into the BIOS a couple of times, something very strange happened: Now the computer won't let me even go into the BIOS! When I hit the F2 button, all that happens is I get two consecutive "Operating System not found" messages and further attempts to push F2 only create loud beeps.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Can you access the CMOS battery on the laptop? They are often in the same compartment as the RAM. You can reset the BIOS that way which might help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re: CMOS

I unplugged the CMOS battery for a minute, plugged it back in and there was no difference. Still no BIOS.

I am not discounting the possibility the battery is dead, however. It's definitely worth checking out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.