Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am attempting to upgrade the ram in an older machine that my wife uses. The Sony PCV-W600G currently has 512mb of DDR Ram. Sony's tech specs says this machine is capable of 1gb of ram. I installed two Kingston (value) 512MB PC2700 333 DDR Ram modules and the computer would not boot to windows correctly - windows starts then I get the blue screen of death (for less than 1 second) and then it reboots. I called Kingston and they checked the computer model and confirmed that the ram I purchased was correct. Kingston said it may be a compatibility issue with their value ram so they recommended their OEM compatible Ram which I purchased and tried - same result. I then bought a single 512MB PNY Ram module and same result. This machine works perfectly with two 256MB Ram modules. Any help??

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
According to Sony that model "should" accept 2 X 512MB sticks of RAM. If Sony's OEM RAM won't work then I am at a loss. It is not uncommon for OEM PC's to be selective about what RAM they will/will not accept.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.