Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I power up my Sony Vaio SVE model machine, it goes to the "Insyde H20" setup utility. I haven't asked it to, and I can't exit succesfully. The recovery disks seem to have no effect.

I believe the internal keyboard is broken (I have an external one)

One or more of the keys are sticking, and I think it's causing my problem.

How do I remove a Sony E series keyboard (If that IS the problem). I can find no guide that is
specific to my model. There are guides for other Sony series, but the underneath of mine is different.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I can't provide instructions on how to replace the keyboard; you'll have to rely on someone else for that.

I did have a question: Are you able to access the BIOS by pressing F2 when the system first turns on? You may have to tap F2 more than once for the system to register it and give you the BIOS options. If you can access the BIOS, make sure your boot order is setup properly with the CD/DVD drive first and your hard drive (HDD) second.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd just like to thank all of you for your suggestions. Eventually, I managed to get the damned thing back up!

I'll try an explain to everyone how I did it (Bearing in mind that it wasn't exactly an intelligent fix - More of a "try anything in desperation" approach...!)

Please be aware that the stuff in italics may not have actually contributed anything to the fix - I'm including those methods for completeness.

So as I explained, my system always booted into the InsydeH20 Setup Utility....:

I changed the Boot Priority to attempt a Network first (Having 'Enabled' Network), then attempt External Device (Having 'Enabled' External Device), then HDD then Optical Disks. Pretty much the opposite of the defaults.

I connected a Smartphone (USB & Charge) to the laptop. I did this despite the fact that that particular 'External Device' had absolutely no backup files on it at all. I also had one of four pre-made DVD recovery Disks in the optical drive (They aren't numbered, because I didn't want to damage their integrity by labeling them... :ermm:!)

Occasionally, in between numerous restarts, screens would pop up allowing me to choose how I'd like to start Windows (I don't know what they're called, but they look like full-screen cmd prompts).

Nooooo Luuuuck! I mean the laptop was so new and the error so sudden that I was genuinely dizzy with panic! :blush:

Now then. I suddenly realized that if my suspicions about the faulty keyboard were correct - Then that is what I needed to address.

As the 'Vaio' screen appeared, I pressed and held just about every key I could.

.... And it returned to an interrupted recovery!!!

I had to stay put while the recovery continued (After a pause of 24 hrs+!) from 61% in order to make sure that - When it forced a restart I could again press all the internal keys and continue without a problem. Over many restarts, I narrowed the problem down to the "ZXCVBNM" series of keys.

Long story short, all was done. And fine and dandy, and... (Ahh, you know the schtick!)

What annoys me is that something as simple as a faulty keyboard could cause such major problems! I mean, an external HDD or Processor or Memory costs a lot of money - Maybe more than the cost of taking it to a repair shop, but the cost of an external keyboard is peanuts!

There ought to be an option to disable the internal keyboard at the Utility Menu. You don't need it to boot the computer, and you can always connect a cheap and cheerful USB/Wireless one with modern laptops.

By the Way, when I restart, the same problem (Boot Menu popping up) occurs - But I at least know how to deal with it and gain access to my Desktop. I'd love a method to disable the internal keyboard just to avoid the hassle, if anyone's got a solution for that? :flowers::whistling:

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,742 Posts
In the System 32 drivers, disable any with kbfiltr. Alternatively you could open up the unit and unplug the keyboard from the MOBO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In the System 32 drivers, disable any with kbfiltr. Alternatively you could open up the unit and unplug the keyboard from the MOBO.
I cannot find (By my amateur sleuthing!) anything like "kbfiltr" anywhere. Where am I looking for this file? Is it even a file? :p

Checked System 32 from C:/Windows/
Checked (Not thoroughly) RegEdit

Nada.

The alternative method, I just want to point out, my system is an E-Series. Even getting to the keyboard through the back panel requires a practically sterile environment - Or risking damage to the motherboard itself! :p

Some of the other models in the Sony series allow for front-removal of the keyboard. Mine doesn't!

I think that pretty much rules out a physical disconnection of the cable (just to be safe).

So, umm, "kbfiltr" it's gotta be! :grin:

X64, btw - Should've mentioned that... :facepalm:

·
26,742 Posts
It will show up in something like this:
WIN7_64/KBFILTR.INF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do I need to go, so that it shows up like that (WIN7_64.....)?

From the desktop!

:ermm::wink:

·
26,742 Posts
Try searching Win764/Win7. Might have to go to Folder Options and show hidden files and also OS files. When finished, Restore Defaults as a safety precaution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've set options to "Show Hidden Files", but I still cannot find a folder or file called "Win 7" or "Win 764" when I type into the Start>Search programs and files textbox. I'm not sure that you can find hidden folders by searching there, even if they've been enabled.

What am I looking for? Or, more specifically, where am I supposed to look? :blush:

I mean, if kbfiltr is in a certain folder - Which folder is it? System32? SysWOW64? Windows in general?

·
26,742 Posts
I know it controls the internal keyboard and disabling it disables the keyboard. The problem is different manufacturers sometimes put there own label on it since an OS
by MS is written for all computers and doesn't differentiate by type. Sony is pretty good at answering questions so maybe they can help. Of course pulling the plug as I mentioned in Post #6 does the job, but I can understand your reluctance to tackle that. Joeten mentioned the Sony manual. I wish it was laid out better by chapter and page number. It's really hard to use. To print it out would take many steps and use a ream of paper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.