Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bro recently visited an "adult" website on our win98 computer, and now it keeps opening new IE windows every few seconds (it opens to mtreexxx.net) and won't close! it also seems to play a sound file from somewhere before it opens a new window (it says "welcome to mega video networks")... do i have a virus? was there something on the site that gave our computer a virus? how do i get rid of it?

ps> i've already tried scanning with norton antivirus 2002, zonealarm, and ad-aware, and they don't pick up anything!

please help!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Nope... those adult websites are all about money, and most get paid per visit or per click... so they set your homepage as where ever they get their money... so all you need to do to get rid of it is open Internet Explorer-> Go to Tools menu -> Internet Options -> Change the text in the homepage box to whatever you want... personally I like www.techsupportforums.com or www.Google.com either way that should take care of it

Welcome to Tech Support Forums (TSF) derek!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried that, but apparently it didn't change the homepage at all -- it's still the same (yahoo.com). a friend of mine told me to search the registry, and i found several keys related to "mega video networks" and "mtreexxx", so i deleted them. then i cleared out my internet cache, history, and cookies, restarted my computer, then tried opening IE again... yahoo.com... and a few seconds later, there it was! a new window had opened to mtreexxx.net (including the annoying "welcome to mega video networks" sound message), and every 5 seconds or so, another window would pop up. whenever i tried to close the window, it would just open 2 more. this is really really frustrating!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Does it start opening windows on its own when you boot or does it only go postal once you open IE?

Also when you click on your home icon where does it take you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dj specs - yes i downloaded the most recent version of ad-aware and it got everything except this thing

tech - it opens a new IE window itself a few seconds after my computer has finished loading (after restarting). it then continues opening new windows every 5 seconds or so (and if i try to close a window, it opens another one)

when i hit the home button, it goes to yahoo.com (which is my default home page)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
ok first, I love your Subject line :
somethings killing our computer!
lol.

Ok now, on with the show:

Check you registry the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and tell me whats listed to the right.

Don't delete anything or change anything in any way at this point.

** Standard Disclaimer **
The use of regedit.exe should only be attempted by someone with suitable level computer skill, improper modification of your Windows Registry could result in wide scale failures and ultimately turn your system into a paperweight. TheTechIsIn will not be held responsible for registry damages as a result of improper modifications. :D Just want to cover myself..dont want anyone coming to Dallas to break things I may need. :no:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CountrySelection
CPQEasyAcc (compaq keyboard thing)
CPQInet (compaq)
DigitalDashboard (compaq keyboard)
EACLEAN (more compaq stuff)
IomegaDriveIcons
IomegaStartupOptions
HidServ
load= (it opens c:\oplimit\ocraware)
LoadPowerProfile
LoadQM
McAfeeWebScanX
NAVAgent
Pop-UpStopper
PTSNOOP
Quicktime Task
ScanRegistry
StillImageMonitor
SystemTray
TaskMonitor

and there was this folder within the "Run" folder called "OptionalComponents", and it had the following

IMAIL
MAPI
MSFS

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
ok, well its not in the registry then, what happens on your browser when you click home, where does it bring you?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
ok.. and it just loads these "bad" pages all the time even when IE is closed it will open up windows of ie?

Did you do a virus scan with the most recent defs.

and if so could you give me the address thats in the bar when one of these things pop-up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
TheTechIsIn said:
ok.. and it just loads these "bad" pages all the time even when IE is closed it will open up windows of ie?

Did you do a virus scan with the most recent defs.

and if so could you give me the address thats in the bar when one of these things pop-up.
yes, and yes (with norton antivirus 2002 and the latest definitions)

the address that pops up is http://www.mtreexxx.net, and it leaves several files/folders in the Temporary Internet Files folder (in c:\windows\temporary internet files) which lead to mtreexxx.net and www1.megavideonetwork.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TheTechIsIn said:
holy good god, it loads that every how many seconds!!!!

:eek: Doesn't begin to describe it.
you shouldve seen my mom's face when she walked in :p

but anyway, yeah it loads a new IE window every few seconds.. and before a new window pops up, there's the most annoying message that goes "welcome to mega video network".. this is seriously killing me (and my computer). any more ideas on getting rid of this?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Alright lets go through this step by step:

1) Your registry is clear of anything that makes reference to that crap

2) There are no installed programs making reference to that crap.

3) Follow the steps in the pictures below, clicking on everything I have circled.

In the view objects button just list what it shows as installed on the windows it will open.

Also list exactly what it says in the Address section when you first go into Tools > Internet options

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Derek,

Until we can completely resolve your problem there is something you can do when those Windows start opening up on you like a machine gun be fired at you in full automatic.

As soon as they start loading HOLD down the [Ctrl] key with one finger and start tapping the [w] key the instant a new one starts to open until they quit. They generally stop after after the fifth or sixth one.

My problem with these sites is with Email - particularly when I'm tired my hands shake and after I've created a mail rule or two to make sure they get deleted from my mail server, I'll start to left click on it to highlight it so I can delete it that shaking index finger doubles clutches on that left button and its off to the races.

Once before I learned the [Ctrl]+[w] routine I had 58 of d_mn things open, man you should have seen my taskbar, four or five levels filled with these little 3/8" icons.

:ufo:

Twas

P.S. - If you are confused and don't understand why you can't find pages that look like the ones that TheTechisin posted he has Windows XP (it is prettier than Win98).

If need to see them in Win98 go to [Operating System]--->[Win95 & win98]---> "help urgent - need an easy answer, Win98" ---> my three posts on 8/12/02.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seem to be having the same problem with a machine I am trying to fix for my friends daughter. However, the site that pops is not a adult site. Went through all the same steps as you have, about ready to re-load the machine.

Ben

·
Security Analyst
652 Posts
Please run HiJackThis and post a log. Do not fix anything. Post here and someone will analyze your log.

HijackThis instructions (~157KB)
  • Download HiJackThis (written by Merijn Bellekom) from
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    Save HijackThis.exe into its own permanent directory, NOT in a TEMPorary folder or on the DESKTOP. Temporary folders get cleaned out periodically and are often destinations for viruses and spyware. So you don't want it there. If you place HJT on the Desktop, then all of your logs and backups will get spread out over the desktop. That is not efficient. For simplicity, I recommend c:/program files/HJT/
    Close all windows, programs and especially internet browsers.
  • Doubleclick HijackThis.exe. Config | Misc Tools | Check for update online, save into your permanent directory. Close HJT. Unzip into permanent directory. Replace file=Yes.
  • Doubleclick HijackThis.exe. Press the <Scan> button
    DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET!! Most of the entries found in a HiJackThis scan are programs/files which are REQUIRED for your computer to operate normally
  • Press the <Save Log> button and save into your HJT folder. Change the file name to HJT 7-28-04a.log or some similar dating nomenclature so you can identify each log
  • The log should automatically open in Notepad. If not, open the log file from any text editor (Notepad, MS Word, Word Perfect, etc)
  • Copy/paste the results here in this forum and let an expert evaluate it for you.
  • Close HiJackThis//

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.