Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then my computer decides to completely freeze so badly that I have to force reset it. In event viewer I don't get any sort of report other than that force shut down. These freezes seemed to only happen when I was browsing a lot on Google Chrome, but just recently it froze just after starting up.

Version of Google Chrome: 34.0.1847.116 m
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP1

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,558 Posts
1. Download Temporary File Cleaner from here.

2. Make sure that you Save As... the file to your desktop.

3. Make sure to close out all opened programs!

• TFC will close all open program's to run, be sure to save any work!
4. Double Click on the TFC.exe file that is saved to your desktop.

5. Windows will ask to either Run or Cancel the program. Click on Run.

6. Once TFC has opened, click the Start button.

7. Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.

8. Your desktop icons and other programs may disappear during this process. That is normal.

9. After TFC has finished it should automatically reboot the PC.

10. If it does not reboot, reboot manually.

11. It is normal that after running TFC that the PC will be slower to boot for the first time.

12. Please report the RED number that is shown at the end of the test.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,466 Posts
Is this a Laptop or a Desktop?
First try a Clean Boot. If this works, then add one startup item at a time until the computer freezes, then you will know that is the problematic program.
If it still freezes, this is usually caused by overheating or if a desktop, a failing Power Supply Unit. Blow out all fans with a can of compressed air, if you can open it up and clean out all dust. For a desktop, take a look at the PSU label and report the Make, Model# and Wattage. Start the computer up and make sure all fans are spinning.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All hardware if fine believe me, in a previous issue with a faulty power supply I had checked all of this. I have a new power supply and I know this freeze isn't related because this freeze has been happening for a long time I just tolerated it. Im going to run temporary file cleaner in post #2 and see if that works, if not then ill run the clean startup.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
A new PSu does not mean it is not causing the issue it could be again. Under rated under powered PSU's can cause an array of problems A lot of PSU manufactures claim they make great products that it will carry the bill. This is why we ask for the brand and wattage. Just because we ask for the make and wattage of the PSU doesn't mean we are directing our focus on the PSU, we like to rule it out. Also please post the make and model of your machine. If you have a custom PC please post all specs of..

RAM
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
HDD(s)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ran the cleaner and it cleared 9GB of data. As for my computer specs:
RAM: G.Skill "F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL"(2x4GB)
CPU: AMD "FD6300WMHKBOX"
Motherboard: Gigabyte "GA-990FXA-UD3"
GPU: Asus "HD7770-2GD5"
HDD: Seagate "ST1000DM003"
PSU: Seasonic "M12II 620 Bronze"(620W)

Im going to use Google Chrome frequently and see if it crashes. These crashes sometimes have been as far as 2 days apart so ill test for 4 days. If there is no crash throughout this time then im going to assume this is fixed. Also in response to post #5, I doubt a unfixed issue whose source wasnt from the previous faulty PSU can be coming from the new one since this problem has been happening before this new PSU. Also just so everyone knows this power supply im using now was just a new one that was sent to me from the manufacturer to replace my faulty one.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Is your CPU over clocked? Your PSU should handle the GPU but the 6 core cpu I don't know. The other guys here are experts. But if your CPU is overclocked that can cause issues for your PSU.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i just got a fatal error... its the crash i was getting when i had the faulty psu. same error in the event log as last time. I cant disregard this im going to create a new thread. If this is yet another faulty powers supply im going to lose it...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This issue is the same one I posted before you commented here. Titled "PSU may be failing(not sure)"

Its in the RAM & Power Supply section. However there is still a existing problem in this category too. Just as I closed Pandora.com in google chrome I got the freeze again. So the cleaner didn't help with that issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This freezing isn't caused my google chrome, I just got a crash and I hadn't even opened google chrome since I booted the pc. After looking in the event viewer the only error I could find that might have been around the time of the crash was this: "The HomeGroup Listener service terminated with service-specific error %%-2147023143.". The source is Service Control Manager.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.