Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm usually pretty good with small issues like this, but after spending hours searching for help on this issue I can't even find any information on what is happening.... My roommate was using my computer the other day and after browsing different sites (he says he didn't download anything), he told me he turned the computer off. When I got home and turned it on, I noticed that cmd.exe pops up at during startup but does not display anything it just quickly appears then disappears. Then, every 10 seconds or so, what looks like a system message (displaying "Windows Internet Explorer" in the title bar) repeatedly pops up saying "Cannot find 'http:///'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.". The only way of preventing this message from annoyingly popping up is to not close it. I can't seem to find any services running that aren't supposed to be there and there is nothing listed under startup in msconfig that shouldn't be. I've ran several anti-spyware scans using the several programs I have access to as well as the virus scans I ran using Norton, never finding anything in those scans. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am severely losing patience and cannot seem to find any resolutions for this matter....

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF.

This could possibly be a malware infection, but I suggest you let us have a look. Please download HijackThis - this program will help us determine if there is any spyware/malware on your computer.
  • Create a folder at C:\HJT and move HijackThis.exe there.
  • Make sure you close down EVERY open window and close ALL browser windows. The only thing that should be open is the HijackThis program.
  • Run a scan and save the log file.
  • Copy the text file (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) and paste it (Ctrl+V) in a new thread in the HJT Forum (do not attach it or post it here).
  • Do not fix any entries in HijackThis since they may be harmless.
    [*]Make sure to include the System information at the top of the log as well.

We'll then have a look and provide instructions to clean your system, if required. Please note that the HJT forum is constantly busy, so I would ask that you be patient while waiting for a reply.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.