Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to everyone who takes the time to read this, and I hope that at least one of you out there might have a clue just what the hell is going on! I've never in my life had this much trouble before. Okay, first here's my hardware info (all of this stuff is less than two weeks old except for the case which I've had for a year).

- Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo

- Asus Geforce4 4800 video card

- 1GB Mushkin PC 3200 DDR ram (2x512MB)

- AMD 3000+ CPU

- Sony 52x CD/RW

- Sony 16x DVD

- 2x80GB Western Digital ATA 100 hard drives

- Antec case with 400w power supply and both optional fans installed for a total of 4 fans

- Windows 98SE

Keep in mind that I got an RMA from ABS computers and exchanged the motherboard for a new one and the problems continued. Also, I know the video card works as it did in another system, and the memory is fine too. I think the only two possibilities now are that either the CPU is bad, or I've gotten two bad mobos in a row with the same problem. Neither one of these is likely however....

Now for my list of problems:

1) After installing the motherboard drivers and video card drivers, it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to change the display settings out of standard VGA. Every time I boot I get a message saying that my display settings aren't compatible with my adapter. Attempting to go into My comptuer/Settings/Control Panel/Display Options yields the error message "RUNDLL32 error", with an option to ignore or cancel. Hitting either of those yields a fatal exception error in NVCORE(01) and the system locks up.

2) The system will randomly report either one of these error messages at post. Either "System failed due to CPU overclocking" or "System failed memory test". Remember that the memory works fine in another computer. Also I should add that the first time Mushkin misshipped the wrong memory (the 512MB modules were actually 256MB modules with the wrong labels on them). BOTH sets of memory modules have caused the memory check error about 20% of the time at startup.

ON EDIT: I have all the bios settings at default except for the FSB speed which defaults to 100, which obviously isn't right. Asus themselves told me to up it to 166, which I did. The memory settings and CPU frequency multiplier are at the same levels they autodetected at originally. I DO NOT TRY TO OVERCLOCK.

3) When trying to load the drivers, the system will sometimes give this error message... "There is not enough memory to run this program. Please enable virtual memory". Checking the virtual memory settings will reveal that virtual memory IS TURNED ON! Furthermore, with a full GB of memory I shouldn't have a problem running just about any program without virtual memory at all. Attempts to disable the virtual memory option will still yield the same message.

4) One time, after loading in the video drivers (I've formatted the C drive and reinstalled Windows about 15 times now) the system would only recognize the video driver CD as a music CD rather than a data CD. Trying to open it on the My Computer screen would simply cause the Windows CD player to run. Also, the floppy drive will sometimes refuse to be available when a floppy is inserted. This will sometimes correct itself after several attempts. This floppy drive never had problems before.

5) Sometimes, after saving and exiting the bios setup screen, the system will spew a bunch of random, multi-colored ASCII characters across the screen and then totally lock up.

Now, if you were me, what would you do at this point other than going postal? Is it possible that the CPU is just defective enough to cause all kinds of I/O problems in the system but not lock it up right away? Would you say, as I do, that it has to be a motherboard problem? Could it be something else entirely? Anyone who can provide valid assistance with this set of problems will become my Friend For Life (tm)! Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity!! And thanks again for your time and attention. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOPS, SORRY!

I will now edit my original post to include that information.

I'm using Windows 98SE.

Hope that helps.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
shawnbowski said:
It says it right there, where he listed all the hardware.
So I guess you didn't read his message that said: "I will now edit my original post to include that information."

It didn't say that when the question was asked. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.