Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My network has about 30 computers all linked to a single server. I recently replaced an old router on our network with a new Linksys cable router. It receives the internet from our cable modem, passes it through a SonicWall filter, and then to the server. I had some issues getting the filter and router to work together, but once I did, only some of the computers on the network can connect. While I was having the issues with setup, all the computers could connect to the network, but could not get to the internet. Now some computers can log on to the network and the internet, but most can't even get to the network. I tried pinging the server and router from one of the computers that can't log on, and it says "Destination host unreachable." This seems bizarre to me, seeing that although the computers on the network are a mix of Windows 2000 and XP and the server is Windows 2000, all of them are set up to get their IP address automatically. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One More Thing

One other thing I just noticed. I'm not sure if it is a possible cause, or just an effect of the problem. When I look in My Network Places for computers on the network, I only see the computers that are able to log on. Again, I'm not sure if this is just the result of the problem or not.
Tim

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the pcs that can'y connect, are they getting an a proper IP address or an apipa address (169.254.x.x)? Which is handing out the IPs, the server or the router? Are there enough IPs for users to grab?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They are getting a 169.254.x.x address.
There are enough IP's for users, and I'm not sure which is handing out IP addresses. The router has its DHCP enabled, but the server also has DHCP settings active.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran an ipconfig /all and it said that the DHCP on the server was not active, so I'm assuming that the router is assigning all the IP addresses

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.