Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I tend to usually manage to fix most problems on my own, but I've wasted the whole day on this not to mention several others in the past to only make things much worst today.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard, the GA-7n400. A few months back, my father in law did something that gave me a bunch of spyware, which I thought was causing some blue screens. Formatted everything and it was OK for a while, but the blue screens returned. Video card seemed OK, hard drives too after some testing, I thought maybe my old RAM was finally dying. I had two 512 sticks and 2 256 sticks. (512 are DIMM 400 mhz DDR while 256 are 266 nhz DDR). Anyway, I did a few tests and things looked better when I took one of the 512s out. Then weeks later, started again with the blue screens, seeing as I'm a lazy guy, I took out the other 512, leaving me with precious little but again the symptoms went away. Recently, the blue screens have returned, often when burning (which is one of the few things I do on that computer since I also have a laptop) or when my GF / father in law browse on the net with IE. Couldn't figure out an exact pattern and running some tests, didn't look like ram or video or anything was really failing.
Anyway, this morning I thought maybe I can try to put my 512 sticks back in since the problem was still there and troubleshoot it, maybe it was something else. Well, when I put the 512 back in, booted with one long beep that simply kept repeating. Worst, even if I put back the 2x256, still wouldn't boot. Putting only one 256 stick in, I cleared the CMOS and now the beeping was gone, I got some booting but once it got to windows, it rebooted. Tried all 4 available slots, same problem. I thought maybe overheating now? Cleared all the dust I could find, there was a lot so I was hopeful, but now it's back to beeping with the lone memory stick of 256 mb. Both CPU and power supply fan are working.

So, any advice?

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
1 continuos beep indicates a power problem, motherboard problem or keyboard problem.

When you reset the cmos did you take the battery out and short the jumpers and replace the battery after a 20 seconds?

I have seen various reports of people having this issue with this board and it always turned out to be the board.

did you try memtest on the ram?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the battery out, but didn't touch the jumpers, is that important, I thought just removing the battery for a while was enough.

I can't do memtest right now, can't get that far, but I did it a few months back and I think it wasn't really conclusive or it was for the first stick I removed

Anyway to confirm it's the board or processor so I can just move on and buy a new PC?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
PC Specs?
Prebuilt- Brand Name & Model Number
Custom Build- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.