Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just completed a system build for my son-in-law and I have a few gaming questions. System specs:

MSI Plat Neo4 SLI MB
AMD 4000+
2GM CORSAIR RAM
EVGA 6800GT VID CARD
HDD #1 WD 74GB RAPTOR
HDD #2 WD 250MB CAVIAR
CREATIVE X-FI SOUND
AG NEOVO 19' LCD

1. Does loading the games on the D drive (250MB) slow the game play down? Or does it have to be loaded into the C drive (74MB). I wanted to load the games into the D. Does all game play occur in RAM, so it won't really matter?

2. I recorded a 4877 on 3dMark05 and 62,000 on AquaMark3. I went to 3dMark site and for my system I saw 10,000. What has to be adjusted?

3. On AquaMark3 I see the antialiasing is off. Can I turn that on?

4. What are the very very slow segments on 3dMark for? What do they measure.

I sure appreciate your help. Trying to get it tweaked up before leaving Tampa for Chicago. Now what is wrong with that picture?

Swen

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
That's a nice rig you've built, well done!

Running the games from the 250GB drive won't be slow unless the drive is slow itself. A good 7200 RPM ATA133 with an 8MB cache would be just fine. SATA is even better. I'd save the 74GB for just the OS and things directly related to it like service packs, drivers, etc. You could also use it for stuff that doesn't need to be "safe" in the event of the 74GB drive failing or becoming corrupted. Personally, I keep very little on hte C: drive and have the "MY Documents" folder on it's own drive.

2GB of RAM will make your system run smoothly and efficently because there's so much room to work in that the OS won't need to use virtual RAM much, if at all. I like setting the virtual RAM to work on my fastest HDD for more performance and so it won't interfere with anything the OS is doing on its drive.

I've yet to see a system post about 6,000 in 3DMARK 05. The only way you get go higher with your rig is to install more powerful hardware. AA can only be enabled in a registered version of AquaMark. The slow segments in 3DMark are usually for measuing fill rates and pixel/vertex shader performance.

Have fun in Chicago!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.