Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The computer had worked without problems in Windows until suddenly ceasing to do so. It still works perfectly so far as linux, UBCD4WIN and the windows recovery disk are concerned (when booted from CD or USB). CHKDSK and other such things reveal no problems. You would think from all those other systems that the computer is perfect.

Computer has two IDE hard disks. Windows XP Pro will now not boot from either of two installations on disk 1, nor from an (old) single installation on disk 2. Only exception is that it will boot in safe mode from disk 2, which is little use for its intended applications.

Disk 1 fails with the common 0x0000007B code, first parameter 0xF79F7524. Disk 2 fails with 0x0000007E, first parameter 0xC0000005; this code is discussed at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182, but the full information predicted there is not in fact displayed; it gives only the stop code and four parameters but nothing further.

Disk 1 goes to the stop state very quickly, whereas disk 2 spends a substantial period in the logo screen before failing.

Swapping around slave/master has no effect; the failure code is determined by which physical disk is being booted from, not where it is in the bios hierarchy or whether the other disk is even connected. Perhaps the versions of XP on the two disks are somehow different so they are giving different failure messages in response to the same condition external to themselves?

But if so, what can this condition be, granted that nothing else seems affected by it?

·
Banned
4,713 Posts
Re: XP won't boot from either of two disks but gives different stop codes

Hello...
Check what make/model are HDDs, visit manufacturers Web Site, download diagnostic tools
and check HDDs for possible bad sectors...

Replace cables...

Did you install some hardware devices or software applications lately???

Boot in Safe Mode and find Minidump folder in C:\Windows from both HDDs and
post it here...

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

HDDs reveal no problems from any diagnostics.

No recent installations except a second installation of XP on one of the disks after the problem first appeared; both new and old installations behave the same.

Safe mode only possible from disk 2; won't boot in any mode from disk 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

thank you, will do so when I next get access to the computer in a few hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Even though it is configured to write minidump files, it does not do so. The minidump folder is present on both disks, but contains nothing.

·
Banned
4,713 Posts

If you did not install any software lately, if HDDs are good [no bad or slow sectors],
then partitions might be corrupted...
But it is odd for both systems to be corrupted...

Are you using 40-pin or 80-pin IDE cables???
Did you replace them???

You should try to 'Repair' OS...
Are these OSs legal or not????

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

a google search found the below troubleshooting suggestions for this error message on a windows 2k system but may apply to your xp as well.

if you try the below steps and no joy then you might consider trying to repair your installation of xp with your xp cd. post back with results

General troubleshooting procedures
Before you troubleshoot a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message, read the contents of this article to determine if any one of the specific issues that are listed later in this article applies to you. If they do not, use the following general troubleshooting steps:
If you recently added new hardware, remove the new hardware or reconfigure it so that it does not conflict with the resources of any other installed controllers.

If an IRQ or I/O port address conflict exists between the boot controller and another controller, Windows 2000 may display a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to make sure that the hardware that you want to add and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For more information about the HCL, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)
For information about the hardware that you want to install, contact the hardware manufacturer.
Use the Last Known Good Configuration feature. Using the Last Known Good Configuration feature may resolve the problem if you recently installed a device driver that is incompatible with your boot controller.

When you use the Last Known Good Configuration feature, you start your computer by using the most recent settings that worked. This feature restores registry information and driver settings that were in effect the last time that the computer started successfully. Use this feature when you cannot start Windows after you make a change to the computer (for example, if you install or you upgrade a device driver).

To start the computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
Restart the computer.
Press F8 when you receive the following message:
Please select the operating system to start.
On the Windows Advanced Option menu, use the arrow keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
If you are running other operating systems on the computer, click Microsoft Windows 2000 from the list that appears, and then press ENTER.

Warning After you start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, changes that you made since the last successful startup are lost.

If you can start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, the last change that you made to the computer (for example, the installation of a driver) may be the cause of the problem. To troubleshoot a problem, you can either remove or update the driver, and then test Windows to determine whether the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Follow up to vladimirb:

all diagnostics show nothing unusual re partitions.
they are not 80 pin IDEs so I presume they are 40.
I didn't replace them altogether but did try different configurations; hard to imagine, though, how they would only be failing for windows but nothing else.

Repair operations achieve nothing, eg the mbr and boot.ini etc look correct and do not change on being "repaired".
The OSs are legal (different legal installations on the two disks).

Follow-up to louge1953:
Last known good configuration produces the respective fail conditions for both disks, i.e. it does not even work for the disk which will boot in safe mode.

Thank you both for the suggestions, which are much appreciated.

·
Banned
4,713 Posts

Replace IDE cables with 80-pin ones...

I am using MHDD 4.6 to test HDDs and I must admit that MHDD is an excellent tool...
Download MHDD 4.6:

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Instructions how to use MHDD you can find on Web Site...

Please, post your system specifications...
Maybe you have problem with insufficient power...

Do you have any important data on both HDDs????
If you do, I would suggest to backup data and do clean installation of Windows...

I am still wondering how did partitions on both HDDs ended up corrupted...

I am going to ask some of the Moderators to check this thread before you choose to reinstall OS...

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,396 Posts

Hi -

Per your 1st post - the bugchecks -

Disk 1 - XP Pro
0x7b = INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE - The XP OS lost access to the system partition during startup.

Disk 2 - old XP install (Home, Pro ??)
0x7e = SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED - thread generated an exception not caught by the error handler. The exception here is the 1st parm - 0xc0000005 = a memory access violation

You said that disk 1 BSODs very quick, which is the likely reason that no dump file is written - no time to do so. Disk 2 "disk 2 spends a substantial period in the logo screen before failing". This sounds like it is starting up, but is hanging on a driver, which remains unknown. Switching master/slave drives produces the same bugchecks for each drive.

If disk 2 never fires up the system services needed to produce a dumpmfile, none would be written.

"Safemode only possible from disk 2" - go into disk 2 and do the following -

Download Live SysInternals AutoRuns from Microsoft TechNet - SAVE it to 'My Documents" folder - http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

Download the zip file attached to this post - http://www.techsupportforum.com/1901287-post62.html
Extract the lone batch file to Desktop. Run it from desktop. AutoRuns must be in docs folder as batch script will look for it there. This program may take several minutes to run. Upon completion, go to docs folder and there should be new folder named TSF_Vista_Support. Zip this up - I need entire contents.

Check to see if there is a full kernel dump file on either drive -
c:\windows\memory.dmp

Copy out Event Viewer logs & zip up. I'm looking for 3 logs each - system, application security. I believe they are in c:\windows\system32\config - but I don't have access to XP at the moment.

Run SysInternals LoadOrd.exe - you can run it directly from Live SysInternals site or download & run - http://live.sysinternals.com/LoadOrd.exe

You'll have to ctrl-a hi-light all, then ctrl-c & copy to text file.

Go into msconfig.exe and enable boot logging. Maybe boot log will tell us something.
START | Run | cmd | msconfig.exe

Was the old install also XP Pro? What was origin of it - i.e., is is a full retail copy of XP or OEM (manufacturer) installation?
What about newer XP Pro - full retail or OEM?

If you are in Safemode & no Internet available, all of the files mentioned above can be downloaded & copied in.

Is XP the only OS on either drive? You mentioned others; not sure if they are on partitions on drives 1 & 2 or not & bootable from HDD.

Do you have XP OS CD? You said you can boot from UBCD4WIN, but I'd like to see if you can boot from actual XP CD.

What would happen if you booted from SINGLE HDD - no slave attached? Can that be done? I don't have system with 2 seperate HDDs; only partitions.

Please zip up all files - if resulting zip > 4.8mb single attachment limit, make up 2 zips and attach both to same post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Firstly, sincere thanks for all that advice. I hope it proves useful to others as well. I will answer some of the questions in a separate post in case they are useful for future reference. However there have been other developments.

Finding difficulty downloading from both those recommended websites (on a completely different computer), I conceded defeat. I therefore reformatted disk 1 (after backup, of course), reinstalled XP from the same (probably OEM) CD from which it had originally been installed several years ago, and restored all the non-windows files from the backup.

Windows now works apparently perfectly, EXCEPT it now will not recognise the existence of the sound devices (speakers) and ethernet connection - it is as though they do not exist! "Find new hardware" finds nothing. Yet all other peripherals (internal and external) are recognised and work perfectly.

All software also works normally except that Microsoft Office claims it is not installed - perhaps because its registry entries are not there in the fresh installation of XP?

·
Banned
4,713 Posts

Windows now works apparently perfectly, EXCEPT it now will not recognise the existence of the sound devices (speakers) and ethernet connection - it is as though they do not exist!
Did you check in BIOS, maybe they are disabled somehow...
Check in Device Manager of you have any yellow question marks next to hardware devices...

All software also works normally except that Microsoft Office claims it is not installed - perhaps because its registry entries are not there in the fresh installation of XP?
Did you install Microsoft Office and after installation you can not run????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Nothing irregular in bios re the ethernet connection. Moreover, running the network by booting UBCD4WIN off CD shows that the network adapter is physically present and fully functional; it is only the new Windows installation that does not discover it.

However there is something happening re an allegedly missing sound dll, so that is probably a separate problem to address separately. My first concern is to re-establish the network.

No fresh installation of Office, merely transfer back to the HDD of all the Office files which had originally been installed on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The nvidia network adapter has a driver nvefd2k.sys which was missing from the windows drivers file, so I have reinstated it. However that does not solve the problem - because device manager does not even show a network adapter CATEGORY as it normally would (and hence it certainly isn't going to install anything into that category). How do I overcome that problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Now I have re-established the network adapter category although it won't accept the actual driver, but ignore the previous message now!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Now fixed! Downloaded the complete nvidia nforce setup pack and started from scratch reinstalling the network adapter. Works perfectly.

Tomrrow's task - find out why it denies the existence of the sound devices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Sound devices now working normally. XP was not interacting properly with the motherboard even though nothing else had any problems. Solution - run the Windows drivers .exe from the motherboard website to re-tell Windows what everything else didn't need to be told.

Leaves only the Word problem, which is apparently well known and sometimes not even easily solved by reinstalling Office. Simple solution - use Open Office instead and thereby escape yet another Microsoft contribution to misery.

So this whole saga is now over. Thanks again to those who responded in such a helpful and constructive way.

The main lessons to me have been that XP can misbehave in an incredible variety of ways while other software is having (and finding) no problems. Brute-force reinstallation ultimately solved the symptoms, but I should have gone down that path initially rather than thinking that some more subtle solution might appear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.