Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently reformatted my hard drive and put XP SP3, it has all the required drivers installed except for the SM bus controller, but I didn't/couldn't find them and it didn't seem to cause any problem (obviously I have a problem now but I'm not sure if that would be the cause? since it didn't bother me before). All of sudden, when I boot up Windows it is very slow and choppy/jumpy performance. I checked the task manager and the CPU usage is above 80% constantly, even though there aren't any programs that are causing it (it is choppy the second it boots up). I've tried CHKDSK and that hasn't done anything, I've tried sfc /scannow but it made no difference either. If this could help, I've been having problems with Creative X-fi drivers (ctaud2k.sys BSODs) but otherwise I don't know what could be possibly causing the problem so suddenly.

If you need any logs then please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: XP SP3 Choppy all of a sudden

Posting everything you've done right before this started happening would help. All the steps you've done after reformatting would be good, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

All I have done since reformatting is installed hardware drivers, a handful of games and security and browsing software (Flock browser, Zone Alarm firewall, AntiVir antivirus). I'm running in safe mode and everything seems to be working fine, so I might try logging what processes are there now and then using msconfig to remove additional processes until I can solve the problem. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I decided to do a system restore to the most recent point when it was working (just before I installed Java o.0) and it's working fine now, thank God!

Thank you for the help! =)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

Recent Java versions have been known to cause some issues.

System Restore always should be a first priority when solving certain PC problems :smile:

Glad to hear you have everything sorted now.

You can mark this thread as Solved by clicking Thread Tools near the top right of this thread.

Take it easy,

-Coolfreak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.