Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have an HP Pavilion with windows XP Media Center, that i need to do a repair install, when i bought it i didnt get any win XP cds, i do however, have some CD's from working at NMSU. they are XP Pro and i know they have been used at least 3 times (one for work PC, two for other PCs) can i still use these CDs to reinstall my XP,(even without Media center part, i dont particualry care for it) and still use my key for the Media Center part, or will the CD key for the NMSU cds still work, even though theyve been used?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: XP Question, old XP Cd's for reinstall

the media center key on your PC will only work with Windows Media Center Operating System....you can install the XP discs from your work however you will need a valid XP license key (either home edition or professional edition) The license from your work should be kept at work

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

well, part of the license allows us this key for home use, so does this mean i cannot repair XP MC with XP Pro discs? if not, i heard about the I386 folder somewhere can that help by burning it onto a cd

·
Registered
141 Posts

Hi Lufo4,

When you bought the HP you should have got some form of restore media or there should have been a service partition on the hard disk to allow for a rebuild via the service partition.

Many suppliers provide OEM software and you will need the version that matches your Licence key.

There are links on the web to download CD's but as far as I am aware none are legal.

You do not advise where you bought the PC from.

If from HP then when you purchase a machine from HP the OS probably came preinstalled and there may be a utility called "Recovery CD Creator" to create your own media. Read this link to HP's answer to this problem...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...7145&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

If you bought the machine second hand and did not get the key or the media and this is not the OS provided by HP with the machine then you will probably have to buy a new copy.

Good luck and don't forget to mark the thread solved with the thread tools..

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
wrench's link is good, but keep in mind HP doesn't sell all its restore CD's from its site (I know because the one from the used laptop I bought wasn't on the site and I had to call).
For those cases, if the HP computer you have still has its product ID sticker, and its serial number on it, you can call 1-800-952-7689, give that number, and they'll mail you a restore CD for a small fee (like 10 bucks). They accept credit cards and money orders. Also keep in mind the restore CD will only work with that model, and no other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.