Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you probably have seen a bunch of these but the search function isn't working for me.

It is for a friend of mine but he has tried searching for the games (solitaire, minesweeper, etc.) and they are gone. I told him to go threw add/remove programs but he gets an error saying that the files are missing from the windows XP disk.

He then tried to reinstall windows but when he was doing that some errors came up about missing files which he skipped until it eventually installed windows. Everything seems to be working fine except he can't verify his windows and he only has a certain amount of time left to verify his version.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: XP games missing

ya, he tried that. I believe he was able to get everything working with the reinstall of windows. The problem he has now though is he can't verify his version of windows. It came with his computer when he bought it though.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Re: XP games missing

One possibility on the latter problem:
When you buy a laptop from HP (for example), you get your product ID for Windows XP at the bottom of the unit. If you ordered it you may also have the OS installation CD (Windows XP SP2 or SP3 or whatever). The thing is, it's not a holographic CD, but looks rather like this: http://www.hprecoverycd.com/category.aspx?categoryID=3
Now if you lose it, HP will send it to you for like 10 bucks! How can they do that? The specific copy of Windows only works for the model it's shipped with (and no other). It's pre-activated with an bulk product key (the same for all other units of the same model - but not the same as on the sticker at the bottom). So when you install XP from that CD you don't need to activate it. This spares HP from activating the tens of thousands of PC's they ship individually (they prob have an agreement with Microsoft). What about the product key at the bottom of the PC you ask? Well it's there to say you're entitled to your copy of Windows. However it can't be activated automatically over the web - that's disabled by Microsoft (for obvious reasons - it'd be like giving a free second key otherwise!) However the key can be activated by telephone if you talk with a Microsoft representative and explain your situation. Also note that using that key, you have to install using an OEM version of XP (not full product version, nor upgrade).
IMHO the simplest thing to do is to order a recovery CD from your manufacturer. If it's from HP they'll ask you for the serial number of your laptop. (HP will provide you with a CD even if you were not the original purchaser - you just need to give that serial number of the laptop - not sure if all manufacturers do this - I think Dell doesn't - call to check).
Hope that clears things up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.