Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an xp home addition prebundled on an HP. It has crashed, cannot boot, go into safe mode, a blue screen flashes, says Lline 18335 of the INF file |cmdcons\txtsetup.sif is invalid. Also seen unmountable_boot_volume. Crashed about 3 years ago trying to install sp2. Microsoft support couldn't figure it out and I fiddled with it till it was up, but then had no admin, no welcome screen, etc. My floppy is broke and did not know to make a back up of the system. Any ideas or should I just take this thing in to someone?
Thanks, Dj

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: xp crashed, will not boot, and no floppy

Did HP give you a restore disc or was that the partition of the hard drive?

My HP laptop has the option to go to Restore Mode or something when the bios graphic appears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The only thing that came with it was Microsoft works cd. Otherwise everything was installed and ready to go. Restore mode and back to when configuration was good went with the sp2 download.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts

you will need to order a set of restore disks from hp
down load and run the hard drive makers diognostic utility on the hard drive
check the hard drive ide cable is secure
try a new 80 wire ide cable

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Which cable would that be? We have a new puppy and the little squirt was able to pull it out and bite the wisper wireless about a week ago...got quite a zap out of it, maybe he has gotten at another one??

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Welcome to TSF....

First suggestion is to put the computer where the pooch can not get to it.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&product=90387&lang=en&docname=bph07143

On floppy drive like the 3 1/2 floppy drives are actually free, all you do is pickup a computer that somebody is throwing away and bring it home and remove the floppy drive and put it in the computer and away you go. I do this with any computers I find and you would be surprised at what gets tossed out I have found 120 Gib hard drives etc. RAM and other things....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Not likely to happen in this little town. And the recovery cds are no longer available. Tried to see if it was on a hidden partition by pushing F10 repeatedly but that didn't work either. I have a computer that is probably 10-15 years old...would that one work?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

If it a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive it should work just make sure that the ribbon cable is plugged in correctly and then try a floppy disk in it after bootup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have the 6 boot floppys. Just leary about pulling out the original and putting in the other. I've seen the insides to blow out the dust but actually pulling out some of its guts is alittle bit scary!! Do I actually have to ground myself before touching the innards? I have gotten alot of shocks from my computer but it has never hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts

remove the main power lead from the back after turnining it off
touch your wrists to the bare steel of the case
you should not get any shocks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Will change it when I get home and cross my fingers!! Thanks for the help, but I'll be back if it doesn't work!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ok I'm back! The tab was bent for the floppy, pulled that out, inserted first floppy, got to the fourth disk and this popped up: File sbp2port.sys is corrupted. Found it on Microsoft and it says this is their port for ethernet lan. But I also found that a trojan can use this also. How am I going to tell which is the problem? When the puppy bit the cord he was really howling. But it worked for about 2 or more days after that. Have also read that this could also be a problem with the iTunes for one of the error replies I have gotten. So I need Help!!
DJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I am starting to wonder if this is not a virus. We can not boot at all, says sbp2port.sys is corrupted. I can get to setup, but get the INF file is invalid. We are not able to do anything. So I can not do a download or an install. I even tried putting the 6 boot floppies on cd and tried to boot from the cdrom. It tries but then nothing happens. I think I am going to give up on it.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts

i think that you will need to put the boot floppies on a hard drive and then turn them into an iso and then burn to disk to boot with

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Am going to try. Chatted with HP support. They no longer have the cds, but they found a site that I could order them from. So hopefully all goes well. Thanks for the help!!
Dj

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.