Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Reboot XP option screen hangs for a full few minutes before continuing on to load XP. Can't see anything in BIOS to alter the delay. Any ideas? The machine is an HP Pavillion P4 2.9Ghz, 512 RAM running XP Home.
No Norton ... I Hate Norton!
Cheers

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Re: XP Boot Issue

Hi ezpc.tech and welcome to TSF !

Does this problem happen whenever you start the computer or only when you restart it ? At what step exactly does the computer hang ?

If it's some kind of menu asking you to choose between several installations of windows then you can either manually edit the timeout=xx line in the boot.ini file or run (start => run) msconfig, go to the boot.ini tab and edit the timeout delay there.

If it happens at each start then this thread will help :
How to troubleshoot & optimize a slow startup

If it happens at each start it's likely to be some driver that's not loading properly (maybe because of some hardware conflict) or some program loaded at startup that has trouble starting.

If it happens when you choose to restart Windows before the computer actually reboots then it's some program running in the background that takes too long to close. Enter the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del and monitor your running processes there. Google with the names you'll see to find which programs are running in the background.

There are some changes you can do in the BIOS to gain a few seconds, like setting the boot order to HDD first if it's set to check the CD or floppy drive first, or disabling the LPT port if there's one and you have no LPT printer. But what really makes a computer start faster is preventing unneeded or unwanted programs to start with Windows.

See these links for further optimization :
Getting the most out of your windows xp based system with optimisation
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/different-ways-to-speed-up-my-computer-162843.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, I'll give all that a try. The PC hangs on the HP Splash Screen giving me the options: 'Esc=Boot Menu', 'F1=Setup', and 'F10=Sytem Recovery'. Whichever I select it takes a good few minutes to respond - even if I do nothing. This happens with both a cold boot and a reboot. I'll try what you suggested and get back to you.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

Press F1 to enter setup and there should be some option to disable the splash screen. If it hangs at the windows loading screen then the above links can help. Else tell us where it hangs.

If there are any USB devices hooked to the computer please unplug them all and see if it helps. If you use an USB or wireless keyboard and mouse then switch for PS/2 ones temporarily.

What's the exact model of this HP Pavillion ?

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

Here's the link to your computer on HP's website :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=435846&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&lang=&cc=us
You may want to open a support ticket with them in case this is some known problem with that particular model.

This is how you remove the splash screen :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05950&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=435846&rule=44599&lang=

These are basically the same advices I gave you :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07365&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=435846&rule=45671&lang=
If the problem is recent then give the last known good configuration a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Problem Solved!! No option in BIOS for the splash screen, only Boot-time Diagnostic Screen which is disabled. However, when I disabled my external HDD it booted up as normal. What was I thinking??

Thanks so much for your help.
Muchly appreciated

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

I guess it was an external USB drive ? Some BIOS utilities will detect USB drives fine but with other motherboards the support for USB drives at startup is not completely finalized.

Glad you had it solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.