Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

The other day whilst in the throws of fixing another unrelated problem I came across a strange and annoying Word Document problem.

When I bought this word document up it present a very unusual icon. It was grayed out and part of the title contained a ~$ then the name of the document.

When I tried to open it, the word document only opened up to the gray page just before it should turn white displaying the text, and there it froze.

Nothing worked after that! The freeze was so bad that the only way to close the window was to turn the computer off at the tower.

After rebooting I tried it again 2 more times with the same problem freeze occurring in the Word document.

Today I again found another document that caused the same problem, this time the icon for that document was normal but right beside this icon was another malformed grayed out ~$(name) icon.

When I tried to open either of the 2 icons I got the same freezing up problem, just as before.

I tried a previously suggested step in that I opened "Word" and from there navigated to where the bad files were located.

In turn I only hi-lighted each, and at the bottom of that window clicked on the arrow for the drop down box.

I was advised that one of the presented options was to repair the file. No such option was present. :4-dontkno

So there you have it. Any advice on this problem please?

Regards

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Word document freezes computer and document is corrupted

Hi all.

Just to advise that I am going to mark this topic as Solved......to a fashion so to speak.
I may resurrect it at a later stage if the problem re-presents it's self.

In a nut shell. I spent a lot of time today searching sites and performing tests including searches on my computer program.

I ascertained that all the aforementioned "defective " Word documents originated in the same folder. After performing several search functions with the criteria as ~$.doc no other such files were found on my computer, other that the already mentioned.

All tests suggested would not repair the said documents.

I have now deleted the offenders and I will monitor the situation. If I run into problems again I will re-post.

Thanks anyway.
Regards

·
Visiting Expert, Microsoft Support Team
937 Posts
Re: Word document freezes computer and document is corrupted

I ascertained that all the aforementioned "defective " Word documents originated in the same folder. After performing several search functions with the criteria as ~$.doc no other such files were found on my computer, other that the already mentioned.
Re: the search term used

Try using using the search term "~$*.doc"
(The asterisk in the search term is used to "include all file names".)

And remember to choose the search option to include "hidden" files.
-------------
I just did a Windows search of my backup folder using the search term "~$*.doc" and came up with 6 items. All 6 of them are just 162 bytes in size.

See Method 6: Search for ~ files in the following ...
How to recover a lost file in Word 2007 or in Word 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827099

Check the size of ~$*.doc files. If they are only shown as 1kb, then they are not likely to contain much info.
---------------------------

You said: "In turn I only hi-lighted each, and at the bottom of that window clicked on the arrow for the drop down box.
I was advised that one of the presented options was to repair the file. No such option was present."

I see 5 options in my little drop-down menu, the last one being "Open and repair". What options do you see in your drop down box?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.